Passport - Name Change

Search

Passport - Name Change

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport - Name Change

I got married a few years ago, and when I sent my passport in to get my name changed, all they did was stamp something on one of the pages with my new name. I'm sure it's okay, and I'm probably just being paranoid, but has anyone experienced problems traveling with their old name on the main page of the passport with just the amendment attached? I'm wondering if it would be better to apply for a new passport with my new name?
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:28 AM

I don't know Bunny--when our daughter had her passport name changed after her marriage a few years ago, she had to send a certified (not photocopied) copy of her marriage certificate.

I'm sure there are those who know more than I, but I know that was a requirement in the past.

Byrd
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, bunny,

depends how much time you've got. Here in the UK the passport office has smartened up its act, and you should get a passport back within a month. If you're in the US, several threads suggest that it can take considerably longer than that.

regards, ann
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

I did the same thing about 2 1/2 years ago, sent in an original copy of my marriage certificate, and the passport office went ahead and amended my passport with a stamp in the back. I guess I was just assuming that I would get a totally new passport with my new name on it, which didn't happen. I haven't traveled out of the country since then, and now that my trip is approaching in September, I'm thinking that maybe another country may have a problem with just an amended passport, but not sure?
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM

I've never had a problem with mine - don't worry. They look in the back pages of my passport often and see the name change.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Hi Bunny. I got married in 1997. I sent my passport in for the official name change in 1999. It came back with a typed amendment on the inside back cover "This passport was amended March 16, 199 to change the bearer's name to read . . . " When I first got it back I was thinking, heck I could have slapped this puppy in my old type writer and have typed this myself! It seemed rather unofficial, but rest assured these names amendments (which are done differently now) are official. (And it's important to note too that your name change is documented in the passport system, which is as important as the typed name change in the passport itself). I traveled to Europe many times with this amended passport (as recent as last year) and never once had a problem with it. But 9 times out of 10 they did flip to the last page to check the name, and some of the time I had to point it out to unknowing travel personnel. But never did I encounter a problem.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:50 AM

No need to worry: I have travelled a few times with my passport with a name addendum just like this--no problem at all. I do point out to the employee at check-in "name change on last page" just to save them time, but no one has ever batted an eye at it.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I feel much better now. Thank you everyone for your responses! Samtraveler - I felt the same way when I got my passport back with the typed changes. I think I felt a little ripped off too
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM

The rules have changed a bit recently -- if your name change occurs more than one year after the passport was issued , you use the renewal procedure and get a new passport. You can get one amended only if the name change occurs in the first year of its validity.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri...eName_851.html

This doesn't affect validity of passports amended under prior procedures.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:20 AM

My wife has been using her amended passport with name change in the back for 3 years now and never a problem. Once a person questioned the name on the passport and the boarding pass which had a different name and we said it was amended and look in the back and they did and said ok, no problem.
You should not have any problems.

dave
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:56 AM

My passport has 3 names on it. My "official" maiden name that is on my birth certificate is on the front. Then there is an addendum in the back with the maiden name that I used (slightly different than that on my birth certificate). Then there is an second addendum with my married name on it.

I haven't had any issues with it. I do have to tell people to look in the back for the addendums, but once they see that, there isn't a problem. I have had people make some funny comments - people telling me to make up my mind what I want to be called, and that sort of thing. No problems though.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I got married a year after obtaining my initial passport. It was "amended" on the back page. I continued to use it until it expires. It was rather amusing that, more often than not, whoever would stare at my passport and stare at by boarding pass but not notice the names were different. Once in a while, they would flip to the back page. Sometimes I'd have to show them. There was never a problem, even with a Russian visa.