Traveling alone.. Like to join forces?

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling alone.. Like to join forces?

Hey guys/girls!

I'm traveling to Zambia beginning of March and staying there until end of April doing my rotations at the hospital.

Beginning of May I'm planning on traveling around south east of Africa for 7 weeks: Malawi, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and finish off with South Africa.

I have traveled around quite a bit, but always with friends. This would be my first solo trip... (maybe not if I find someone nice ^^)..
At first I was quite confident that everything would turn out fine, but I'm starting to wonder..

Do you guys think it's safe to travel around alone as a woman? I have never been to subsaharan Africa..
Even if you guys were to say yes, it's... well, too late, my flights are booked.
But I'd really appreciate if any of you have any advice, etc..

Or maybe some of you are planning on traveling the same countries at the same time as me and would like to join forces??

Cheers!
Piyumi
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 07:39 PM

Hello Piyumi,
You can travel alone in those country especially Tanzania and Zambia i truly sure...I have travel tips for Tanzania,i got it so if you you want i can email you,hope it will be helpful.Many been using it.Tchao
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 01:54 PM

Hi Piyumi,
I have lived both in Zambia and Malawi for some years and have travel around some... but i haven t seem many foreing women traveling on their own, espesially backpacking...the few i saw had grouped with other travelers...
somme ladys involved in local project may travel alone but they generaly are with a vehicule. The peace corp volunters while staying often alone in they postings also joints together when traveling...
I am not saying that it is espesially dangerous, in 7 years in the region i only hear of one case of a lone women attacked and kill (in Malawi) but that it is unuasual for a foreign women to travel on her own in this part of the world...
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 02:00 PM

Now it s probably not gonna be a problem to find other people in hostel, camps etc to group with
to be more precise when traveling it is unuasual for a foreign women to BE alone...
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 03:21 AM

Thinking about it, the probability of being asaultet is surrely higher in Europe than in Africa for a white wommen.
Never the less security is much about prevention and is not a god idea to relay too much on faith...
Human predators like their animals conterparts are always looking for easy targets and they might not chose you if you look like you can handle yourself in a fight and or that you are maybe armed with something...
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 03:31 AM

One last thing...make you mind about the thing that you can lose (all material possesion) and the one that you can t(physical integrity)
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:11 AM

dear me! did i realy write this...
hilarious!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

hey!
Thanks to everybody for their advice

@Phili: my "physical integrity" (nice paraphrase btw) is far more important to me, believe me

Someone told me about a travel trips organization called "oasis overland"
At first I was quite apprehensive, cause I'm not really fond of organized trips. I like the backpacking lifestyle.
But I still checked out their site, went through some reviews and even watch some youtube videos from past trips and I'm nearly sold

Pricewise, I'm not sure. I guess it'S ok, not cheap, not uber expensive.
For a 21days trip incl. accommodation it's about 600pounds.
What do you guys think?
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

BTW: I'm not a white woman
MY parents are originally from Sri Lanka, which makes me brown ^^

Does that really make a big difference? I just thought generally people from "outside" are easier victims.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 12:09 PM

Hi Piyumi,
I actualy knew you where from SL...
Should have write foreign isted of white...
It doesn t make any difference...btw you NEVER se asian-african women traveling alone
Maybe you should contact a local travel agencie and see if they can help you? I used Bush Buzz for my bookings in Lusaka.
Overland trip is not for every body but it maybe the solution, anyway if you chose to go alone try to avoid late arivals or too early departures.
Evening and night is generaly when you enconter the drunk/unpleasent caracters. Around borders there are often congregations of those but they are rarely on post in the first half of the day...As a rule try to avoid place were you might meet drunks, in towns but also in rurals areas.
Honestly, if you use common sense and listen to your right and wrong feelings i think you gonna be all right.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Hey Phili,

thank you
don't worry, I consider myself multicultural anyway ^^

I just decided that the I might join oasis overland for a 21 days trip from victoria falls to cape town. I read through most of the reviews and the were all more than positive.
Price is ok i guess. The 21 days are probably going to cost me around 1500euro, but I've heard that Africa isn't the cheapest place for tourists.
Have you heard about oasis overland?

I'll be traveling through Zambia and SOuth America alone though, but I'm not too worried too much about that. (Especially considering the fact that it's probably easier to meet fellow travelers in South Africa than in Botswana).

I do think that I have a fairly good common sense, but you never know.
It's kind of sad to realize, that if I were a guy I wouldn't be worrying that much.

maybe I should start doing heavy working out before leaving
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Hi Piyumi,
In Zambia, make sure you visit South Luangwa NP, probably one of the finest wildlife area in Africa, somme people say the finest! Many lodges have 3 days packages all inclusiv (so call locals rates) that are great value for the money ask. Bush Buzz can help you with those.
If this is even to expensive you can take a coach buss from Lusaka to Chipata, maybe stay for the night in one of lodge in town, then take a minibuss to Mfuwe,more confortable now that, i think, the tar road must be complete all the way to Mfuwe. I suggest that you arrange a pick up with one of the lodge in the area that have cheap accomodation. I would go for either Flatdogs or Wildlife Camp but there are others availables...Try to stay for at least 3 night, idealy more...Bush Buzz can organise booking and transfers. There is now cell phone coverage in the area so it should not be a problem to organise a pick up...
Kafue is also a great place easely accessable from Lusaka.
in May the roads are opening and Mukambi lodge (accomodation around 100 us + activites)and Mayukuyuku camp ( camping 15 us,acc around 60 us + act) are to and an half hours driving from Lusaka.
If you can afford it i suggest you rent a vehicle and start exploring place like Kafue, Lower Zambezi, Mutinondo, North Luangwa etc
When i visit Zambia a few years ago i use Juls rental witch was ok...
I don t know anything about overlands...