Tour Operators - Possible Discounts - Feb 2009

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully someone can answer a few questions.

1. Recommended Kenya-based operator for arranging a fairly simple trip - two parks, Nairobi hotel, and transfers.

2. Are costs less using local operator vice home-based? Is it possible to get discounts or reduced rates? We would travel in Feb 09.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:04 AM

yes, you will safe some coins when using a kenyan based operator as the home based Operator will sub-contract a Local agency in Kenya thus making the price a little bit higher on your side.

February is a high season in Kenya and chances of getting a big discount will be slim though better than during migration.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM

just as you have been told....all abroad tour companies have to use the Kenyan Based companies..so they will ask the local companies for quotation and then they mark up the price...always book with a kenyan based local company..the price is a bit down.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 08:52 AM

the above said is true when it comes to TA/TO.
travel consultants mostly book directly with the camps which again book the transfer flights according to the stay and only use DMCs for transfers if a client is not experienced or feels save enough to ride a cab.

so it depends on the way your TA/RO/TC works.

div
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Contact Kennedy Muthoka; he arrangenged my 2-week group safari and it was flawless. Tell him Kristina sent you.
email Kennedy at his personal address: [email protected]
or call him on his cell 011-254-722-702769
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Would second recommendation for Kennedy at Waymark Safaris, although he didn't arrange a safari for us, we did tour with him for a day and also met his wife and eldest daughter. He came across to me as very professional, very trustworthy, very likeable and I would absolutely consider booking future trips with him.

I just returned yesterday and the Kenya portion of my trip was booked with Cheli and Peacock. Only one of my three Kenya camps was one of theirs but they are happy to arrange safaris using other properties than their own. Everything went very well indeed.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Ah yes Local tour operators are much cheaper and as already stated February is high season but you can always get a decent discount. I have in mind Moses who organized a safari for some American friends. He is at [email protected]
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM

I will third the vote on Kennedy - you wouldn't go wrong on him, he organizes many of the Nairobi tours for quite a few of the people on Fodors, and also organizes Kenya safaris. He is honest, trustworthy, and gives top notch service.