Kenya Mid-Feb - Where to Go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to the Masai Mara and had been thinking of Samburu. I am told it can be very hot in mid-February. What would be a good alternative park?
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM

The farther north, the hotter it gets, but Samburu is an excellent reserve to visit. With evenings/mornings being cooler, it's still a great choice.

If not Samburu, consider Tsavo West. Depending on budget, Finch-Hatton's at mid-price range is good. For more bucks, there's Ol Donyo Wuas or Campi ya Kanzi.

Or, even Amboseli, staying at Serena or Ol Tukai Lodges in mid-price or higher with stay at Tortilis.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

I would really like to go to Samburu but am concerned that in mid-February it would be too hot/humid. It really is our first choice. If its not that bad then we would still go with Samburu. We are considering Sasaab which has a pool.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM

What about Lewa? It has most of the same Northern game species (including a much larger Grevy zebra population than Samburu) but its elevation is higher--so it won't be as hot. We just got back from a 10 day Kenya safari that included 2 nights in Samburu and 2 nights at Lewa. Samburu was fun, but I LOVED Lewa--the game was slightly more sparse but it was very private. You can also do things like night drives and walking safaris because it's private. And you can't beat the rhinos. I lost count at 20--about half of which were black.

If you're going to the Mara, you should see plenty of "crowded" game viewing (crowded with both people and animals).

Just a suggestion.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:41 PM

SaSaab is lovely and expensive. The new Saruni/Kalama (sister camp of Saruni/Mara) is another outstanding choice. Most all the lodges/camps up this way, have pools.

It's also rare for it to be humid. Think dry-heat as Las Vegas, but not quite as hot.

Unless you stay out in the mid-day sun, with game drives done mornings and late-afternoon, you have cooler temps.

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Lewa (or anywhere else in Laikipia) is a good suggestion. The elevation will be about 2000-3000 ft higher than Samburu so a noticeable difference in temp and as mentioned, you get much of the same northern species. Tsavo is at approx the same elevation as Samburu so temps will be similar, hot days, warm nights. I've been to Tsavo twice in Feb and find the temps to be at the upper end of what I consider tolerable and I'm not particularly fond of heat.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the very helpful suggestions.

Sandi could you say some more about Sasaab vice Saruni/Kalama?
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Both are on private conservancies; game drives done here and in the Samburu/Buffalo Springs reserves. The designs are similar for this hot environment. Sasaab a bit older; Saruni opened in June. Sasaab has occupancy for 18/pp vs 10-12/pp Saruni. Sasaab has individual plunge pools; Saruni a shared camp pool.

Both offer night game drives and walking; both have magnificent views, outstanding service and food. Both are eco-camps, in-tuned with the environment. Sasaab is, I believe, a tad more expensive than Saruni.

Toss a coin!
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 01:41 AM

You can always tilt your itinerary....start with Samburu,then Nakuru and finally to Maasai Mara..bt not tht the drive from Samburu to Nakuru is a long drive like 6 hrs.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:55 AM

If flying to Samburu and then want to go to Nakuru, besides the long drive (approx 6/hrs) you'll have to pay for vehicle to meet you at Samburu for the drive.

From Nakuru you can use this guide/vehicle for touring Nakuru, then drive 1/hr south to Naivasha for 1pm flight to Masai Mara. However, that Naivasha flight doesn't always seem to operate (beats me why not), then you'd drive back to Nairobi/Wilson airport for 1pm flight to Mara. This 1pm has recently be put on, but not sure whether it will be operating come February.

If not the 1pm, then have lunch in town and catch the 3pm flight to the Mara.

I know, too many choices (and possible changes... welcome to Africa!)
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Another option if wanting to include Nakuru and not wanting long drive is just to fly back to Nairobi from Samburu, then drive from Nairobi to Nakuru. You'll be in Nakuru in time for your afternoon game drive.