Tour Add-ons $$$

Oct 4th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Tour Add-ons $$$

Since we changed our tour, we stay overnight in Luxor at the New Winter Palace (going to try and change to the Old), anyway - the Evening light show at The Temple Of Karnak was an additional $30/person - We passed - we certainly can go for considerably less, especially since we are not leaving on a ship or anything that might make us nervous. Doesn't it seem a bit over-inflated? - Looks like walking to the Temple is doable. Does anyone know how much is the entrance fee is? - We plan on doing the Pyramids Light Show on our own as well.

Oct 5th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Hi jeepsterchick! Sure is fun planning a trip to Egypt, huh! I'm also in the midst of everything, heading there in February. So all your questions are very timely for me.

As far as prices for the light shows, one source I've found is roaming through the sonesta.com website. Once you click on "Egypt", then click on the hotel for Luxor, and it gives you links to the light shows and has all their prices.

Hope this helps.

Happy travels!
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:44 AM

The light show at the temple is very tame and I would give it a miss!Definitely not worth $30!
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:35 AM
sandi

jeepsterchick - the price for the Light & Sound at Luxor is 33L.E payable on site. A little less then USD$6, so believe the price from the hotel includes a driver to take you there and wait to return you to the hotel. You can certainly do it on your own, even with taking a caleche from the hotel to the temple and a caleche for the return; the caleche rides are nice and very inexpensive. Of course it is walkable, but the hotel is at one end of Luxor and the temple at the other end of town.

I would suggest you buy tickets before the performance in the late afternoon when the ticket booth is open for those doing the late afternoon tour of Luxor Temple. Otherwise, if I recall correctly, the box office doesn't open till shortly before the first performance for the evening. And be sure you do an English language performance, and have a small flashlight with you. Unlike the L&S at Pyramids where you sit through the entire performance, at Luxor you listen to the story as you walk thru the temple most of the performance till the end when you take seats for the last 15-minutes or so.

Oct 5th, 2004, 12:33 PM

I did a trip to the Sound and Light Show at the Pyramids without booking it through the tour. It was easy enough.

You may want to get a taxi each way from your Cairo hotel to the Pyrmaids. I decided to get the metro to the Giza metro stop and then pick up a taxi from there which was only a few Egyptian pounds.

I didn't think the Pyramid Sound and Light show was all that good. I didn't do any others so can't compare it with the Karnak/Abu Simbel ones. I didn't think the light or sound were very good and for me, the narrative didn't work very well. I just found it all a bit tacky (and not at all kitsch which would have been okay). If you read past threads about the shows they do generally get good reviews however.
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:47 PM
sandi

... my error. kept referring to Luxor temple for the L&S in Luxor, when it should be Karnak Temple. Though there is a Luxor temple, but no L&S show here. Mind and fingers not working very well at this time of day.

Oct 5th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Oops. I guess I'm with sandi, making references to Luxor as well.

I just double-checked, and the sonesta.com website has the reference to Karnak, not Luxor. So there you will find all the info you need.
Oct 6th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies - yes, I'm having a ball planning! Going with a tour, I'm still trying to do my own thing on occaision! I'm looking forward to seeing the sites all lit up - the "show" will be secondary I would guess, but for $6 - I'm in. Good advice to collect the ticket earlier in the day - as we will be there with the group. Thanks again!

Search this Thread