Search

Sound and Light Shows

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound and Light Shows

Hello

We will be travelling to Egypt in 2 weeks.

We will be visiting Cairo then cruising from Aswan - Luxor.

Can anyone recommend which Sound and Light Shows to see / why ?

Thanks
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I just got back from a 21 day trip to Egypt and I saw all of the sound and light shows. I liked the one at Abu Simble the most, but unless you are staying there most poeple miss it. The one at Giza plataeu was my second favorite, then Karnak, and last Phile. I would skip the Phile one persoanlly. So I would say see the Giza one for sure and if time permits Abu Simble and Karnak. If you go to the Karnak one bring a flashlight. You walk throught the temple at night and althoght we had a full moon, a flashlight would have been helpful.

Otherwise have a great trip. We had a wonderful time and I wish you the same.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 06:04 AM

I like the show at Philae the best, travelling to Philae by boat at night was quite nice. No other outside sound or lights such as those from cars, discos, dogs etc disturb the show and for me and my family it was quite magical walking around the temple at night.

I saw all the S & L shows, execpt for Abu Simbel, and enjoyed them all.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:45 AM

I thought the one in Luxor was pathetic and not worth the money.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I saw the one at Giza and was not impressed. I didn't see any of the others so I can't compare it.

The lighting wasn't all that good and the sound was fairly poor. The narrative didn't seem to hang together at all well either. It just seemed very dated and seemed like it needed bringing up-to-date. Perhaps part if the disappointment is that it has probably the most expensive entry fee of anywhere you will go in Egypt. I went at the end of my trip after seeing so many amazing sights.

One of the guides I spoke to said the one at Abu Simbel used lasers and the effect was much better.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 11:53 PM

I have seen the one in Luxor, and like mincepie, I almost fell asleep. It could have been done so much better - but wasn't. A Japanese man next to me slept through all of it.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:29 AM

We saw the one at Giza because it was our last night and we thought it would be a good finale. It was OK - not great. The "light" part was much better than the "sound" part. Since they have them in different languages at different times, maybe I should have chosen a different language!
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 02:16 AM

Saw the Giza Sound and Light.
It was pretty tacky but as I mentioned before, for me to spend some time just gazing at the pyramids was great. I couldnt believe that I was really seeing the pyramids as it was really a dream come true for me. The sphinx booming historical facts etc. was boring but I was just lost in amazement and took like 100 photos on my digital camera (luckily can delete the shutter happy insanity of taking 30 photos of the same pyramid)! For me this Sound and Light at the foot of the pyramids represented Egypt more than the other S&L. It was chilly though so bring something to cover up.