tipping twice a day?

May 31st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

tipping twice a day?

we are going to kruger, chobe, vic falls and have 2 drives on most days. do you tip the drivers/guides on each drive, or just once a day and if so first or second drive? haven't seen this on threads. thanks
May 31st, 2005, 11:00 AM

In a situation where I knew we'd be assigned a different driver/ guide for each excursion I would probably tip at the end of each drive.

In a situation where I'd have the same driver/ guide for the duration I'd tip once only at the end of the stay.
May 31st, 2005, 11:28 AM

Agreed.
May 31st, 2005, 11:46 AM

How would you know if you are going to have the same driver each time? We will be spending two full days at a couple of different locations (Elephant Plains in Sabi Sands and Nxabega in Okavanga Delta). Those are smaller places so I guess I was just assuming that we would have the same driver, but I don't want to assume. Thanks for posting this thought.
May 31st, 2005, 01:48 PM

Ask on arrival.
May 31st, 2005, 04:58 PM

Personally, I will not be bothered with worrying about tips after each and every game drive. I am on safari to enjoy myself and to take in as much Africa as possible not to be anxious whether or not I will have the same guide on the next activity.

At the end of my stay, however, I will make sure that I remember each guide. If the guide is not available while I am checking out, I do give their tip to the manager or managing couple with instructions to forward the tip to the guide.

I don't think I have ever tipped before checking out, UNLESS I knew that a guide or staff member was going to be off for a few days and would not be around for his/her tip.
May 31st, 2005, 05:06 PM
lincoln572

Let's say you have the same driver for 5-6 days...what's a typical tip amount?

Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM

Tip at the end of your 'stay' at each camp. the staff rates you of worthy or unworthy of good service at many places based on your tips. Besides, it detracts from what you and they are there for and should be based on the total experience at a camp. Many camps have different policies regarding tips, like only a tip box for the whole camp to divide up, tips to each facet of operation-kitchen staff,'housekeeping' ,the guides,ect or giving to the manager to divide up. Many systems. I try to mainly go for a group tip and then try to give extra to individuals quietly for extraordinary service. The problem with one tip 'box' is, I have discovered that so many times the guide or manager grabs the bulk of it.
Ask if the guide,and a couple people on the staff how it works. But always check the schedule the day b4 departure so you can find a way to get to those deserving extra appreciation.

Search this Thread