Search

Tipping - Kenya, Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping - Kenya, Africa

I am wondering what standard practice in Kenya is for tipping. We were told by
African Adventures to tip our guide 10-20$ a day per person. $5-10 per day per guest for staff as a whole. I don't know if this includes the driver. I think $20 a day is pretty steep plus another $10. What is general feelingon tipping in Kenya? Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Generally in Kenya there's only one person who acts as both driver and guide, so normally there isn't a separate driver to tip. I would say $10pppd for your driver/guide and $5pppd for lodge/camp staff is a good guideline to use. We usually end up tipping a little more than that but not $30pppd.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 03:51 AM
sandi

If you do a search on this board - use the box up top and enter "tipping" or "safari tipping" (both without the quotes) then click box to the right, threads containing information will appear in the left column.

Like Patty, the $20/day for guide/driver, is rather high. We usually tip guide/driver about $10/day; camp staff $5/day (to be placed in box found at reception for distribution by management to staff). Will tip a bit higher if the guide is quite exceptional in some way. And, if someone at camp/lodge goes out of their way for you, you can feel free to tip them separately at time of service.

When picked up at the airport, inquire if this person will be your guide or just the transfer person. If the latter, you should tip also, about $3-$5; same amounts on the return for homebound flight, if it's not the guide you have throughout your trip.

This tipping schedule should also apply if you are flying to/from particular parks/reserves and using the guide/driver of the lodge/camp where you'll be staying. In some cases, you may find a spotter or tracker in addition to the guide... this person should get $5/day.

All tips to be paid at the conclusion of the service, be it a day or a week.

And, don't forget hotel employees in NBO - porters $1-$2/bag, housekeeping $2/nt., etc. For taxi rides, round up; restaurants if service charge not included (often noted on the bill) add 10%.

It's a good idea, on arrival to get some Kenyan Schillings - at ATM or Cash Exchange Window at Baggage Claim. This can be used while in NBO where they prefer Schillings; also as camp stiff tips.

Believe that should just about cover everything.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:13 PM

i thought tipping was like saying thanks appreciating what someone has done!they might be your drivers guides or whoever that serves you yes thats their job but you will agree some go to extra miles to give you better service,i think giving a tip is just appreciating if you feel the person didnt serve you well then you decide and if you think wow you served us so nicely you decide also what to give there is no law in giving.i believe its a matter of the heart...
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

To Patty and Sandi,
Both of you were extremekly helpful before when I asked about tipping. We leave in 2-1/2 weeks. I'm figuring out my tips today. I' planning on $10 a day for each of 8 people for our guide for 11 days which equals $880. Samburu Serena Lodge for 3 nights X 8 people X $5 per day equals $120. I've done the same for each lodge. My total is $1400 in tips for 8 people for 11 days. That is unless I have other people to tip, too. Does this sound excessive or is this right on target? Thanks again. Betty
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:24 AM

I have a question about tipping drivers on a flying safari. We have many transfers, eg: to the hotel in Nairobi; a transfer to Giraffe Manor; a transfer to Wilson; a transfer to Lake Manyara hotel from the airstrip; a road transfer between Lake Manyara and Ngorogoro Crater and back again to Manyara. How much and when do we tip these drivers? They are all arranged by CC Africa.