Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Old Cataract won't be open so what's the next best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's right, the Old Cataract Hotel won't be open when I'm in Egypt so what's the next best choice? Lady Egypt (our travel agency) chose the Movenpick but I'm a bit worried that it's so far out of town. We only have one day/night in Aswan and I'd like to take in as much Nubian culture as possible. One thing that is important to me is being able to leave my hotel and walk out into an interesting, local area. I can't help but think that at the Movenpick we'll be stuck out on an island with a bunch of other tourists. Any other suggestions?
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Why don't you let LE know your concern and they can put you up in one of the hotels along the main strip road in Answan. I stayed at a very nice one (The Isis ?) that was almost directly across the street from the souq main entrance.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM

We stayed at the Movenpick for three nights last January. At first, we were concerned about being isolated on an island, but the benefits outweighed the downside. First, there the hotel runs a frequent (every 15-20 minute) ferry between the hotel and the main dock, right in the center of town. (Be aware that many in town hotels are actually at least a mile or more out of the center.) Second, while the hotel is indeed unusual (weird?) as a tower, the top-floor cafe affords a spectacular 360 view of the Nile, the dessert, beautiful sunsets, and a wide view over the town. We would go up late in the day to have tea and watch the sunset.(Be aware that the tea cakes etc. are not complimentary, but you can order a tea, coffee or drink from the bar.) The hotel has a good restaurant. After a main meal in the early afternoon, we had a light supper in the hotel on two nights. On the third night, we took the ferry to town; walked through the souk; and had dinner at one of the Nile-side restaurants.(El Dokka was great at mid-day.The Aswan Moon was very good. El Said was okay at best. The hotel itself was very good. The rooms were nicely appointed in a pleasant Nubian decor. Good service and services in the hotel. So, overall, we thought the Movenpick had a lot more pluses than minuses.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Yes, of course I'll discuss it with the travel agent but Fodorites can give valuable advice I know the Movenpick is a safe bet and I've heard the grounds are lovely. We usually only eat breakfast at our hotels although trips to the bar are usually welcomed Is the bar also on the top floor? Given that, I still think being right in town might be more interesting and time expedient. After all, we only have one night in Aswan and the Isis Corniche looks lovely.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM

You won't go wrong with the Movenpick. We were there 2 nights-then Abu Simbel 1 night & back to Movenpick for 1 night before our Nile Cruise. The GM Dino is a gem-welcomed us back & had a bottle of wine delivered to our room & a tray of sweets. When the AC wasn't working he moved us to a suite after we came back from a tour of The Nubian Village & dinner. |I too was disapointed Old Cataract wasn't opened. We rode by it on our boat tour. Enjoy
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 11:31 PM

I vote for the Basma Hotel http://www.basmahotel.com/

Next door to the Cataract.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 11:47 PM

Hi
There are Movenpick Aswan, Iberotel & Isis Island as 5* hotels
I recommemd Movenpick (Renovated) or Iberotel (New)
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 06:09 AM

With only one day in Aswan and an interest in the Nubian culture, stay in town. The Basma is nice enough and very convenient. Don't miss the Nubian Museum-beautiful and very interesting. I think that they have evening hours, but you need to check that. We also took a small craft to the Nubian Village. I was surprised that I enjoyed the trip. The fauna along the water was lovely. The Nubian Village is a bit tourist hokey but enjoy your tea and have a look around, Be careful of the camels!

Pat