Re-charging I Pad

Dec 30th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Re-charging I Pad

Leaving for our 1st trip to South Africa in a couple of weeks. Thinking of bringing an I Pad instead of I Phone to communicate back home--by e-mail. Any problems recharging an I Pad? Does it take a Transformer or a Converter? Thanks...
Dec 30th, 2010, 04:43 AM

I don't have an iPad, but have recharged all manner of electronic gear without a transformer/converter. Take a look at your AC cord/recharger and see what the input specifies. Most will say Input of 100-240 V...and I'm guessing yours will also be multivoltage. You will need the correct adapter plug. SA uses the Type M ( http://electricaloutlet.org/type-m )
Dec 30th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! Yes, the Input is 100-240 V. The adapter I have says for India and parts of South Africa. It does look like the one I saw on the website you suggested, but doesn't say "M"
Dec 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM

I'm pretty sure the one that says India/South Africa will work for you. When I think harder on this I also remember that certain areas of SA may also use straight-edged 3-prong plugs a la the UK (Type G). I always bring each of the M and G.Take a look at this site:

http://users.telenet.be/worldstandar...ty.htm#plugs_c
Dec 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM

BTW, for what it's worth, mine doesn't say M either.
Dec 30th, 2010, 09:14 AM

We took ours to South Africa in September. But that is a 220V model. Still; it charged perfectly using the original charger (with an adapter to plug into those 110V outlets).

B.regs,

J.