The Migration October/November 2009

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any information on the status of the migration this year.? With the severe dryness in Kenya, is it likely the animals will move towards the Serengetti in the next few weeks?

We arrive JRO October 23 and will do the Northern Circuit, ending Nov. 2 at Migration Camp. Just "counting my chickens before they hatch" That 60 Minute show on Sunday about the migration got me thinking ahead...

I read a few topic messages in August about the weather in East Africa at that time and thought someone out there in Foder land may have an update on conditions...Hope so.

Thanks for all your help and info so far...am getting really excited about this trip.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Hi. I got back from the Mara yesterday. The bulk of the migration is on the other side of the river from Governors Camp, and under Serena. There are a few animals near the plains around Governors. The guides felt that they will start heading back to the Serengetti by end of October / early November, depending on the rains in Kenya and Tanzania. The weather has made the whole migration so unpredictable.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
pjf

Africa Dream Safaris has a nicely written blog with a detailed entry just this week. I'm not using them and I can't say how accurate it is. My safari dates are similar to yours, so I have a few blogs I keep an eye on for current info. This one has the most detail right now.
http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/home_blog.html
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks roadwarrior and pjf....Now I'm even more excited...that blog from ADS if accurate means we are in for some great wildlife viewing.

Where is Governors? In the Mara? Was there rain in the Mara when you were there, roadwarrior????
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:21 AM
pjf

I leave about a week after you (Oct. 30 to Nov. 10), so I hope you're right!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Any other blogs I should be watching?
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks for posting this, I was wondering if the migration was sort of on time, early or late this year. Actually, I'm still not sure after reading the blog. But it was a good read, nonetheless!

Was really hoping to witness a river crossing... will be staying at Migration Camp in the northern Serengeti Nov. 8 and 9. I'm just excited to see all the animals, will enjoy it no matter what.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
pjf

Well, the postings are pretty sporadic, but I check these once in a while:
http://www.nomad-tanzania.com/safari...on_update.html (nothing since August)

http://www.wildwatch.com/great_migration
(scroll down below the map)

http://wildebeestmigration.blogspot....-in-media.html

I'm not that into the river crossing part, but I would like to see a good-sized herd of wildebeests just to get a sense of what that's like. But even a couple hundred will probably seem huge to me. Seeing lions, elephants, cheetahs, and giraffes are more important to me though, so I didn't really plan my trip around the migration.