Search

Help, I can't decide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, I can't decide

I know that we've only just come back from Botswana, but withdrawal symptoms are already setting in and I have to get back to Africa. I would really like to get a trip in before December but I can't decide where and I'm driving my husband mad talking about it.

I think it will need to be East Africa as flights from UK to Nairobi or Kili are so much cheaper(and the budget is tight after the extravagance of Botswana).

Please help me out in deciding. Ideally we would like to go in October or November but I'm not sure what the animals or the weather are doing then. Or do I just try and be patient and wait for the calving in the New Year (where and when?)

So .......... if you were me, where would you go (Roccco - no need to ask you!)
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Hi Ruth, haven't heard from you for some time. OCT would be great for KENYA. The SUN SETS are AWESOME!I say that because I haven't been to TANZ. I believe it is less money to visit KENYA. PARK FEES ECT. If you want my tour ops info let me know. Of course it depends on how you do it over there.
Camping, lodges that kind of thing.
To be honest Ruth, I always travel in SEPT now. Since 9/11 I want to be out of here before then. I have it in my mind if something were to happen again. It would be then, don't want to get stuck here. I am only a few hrs from NY. Could of lost my cousin that day. He works for the phone co. in NY.He was switched to another part of the city at the time.In any case I would go in OCT along with the wildlife, I would have great SUNSETS!From where you are OCT should be ok.Let me know if you need anything.
David
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:24 AM

I agree, Kenya in October. We had a great safari in Kenya in November
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Ruthie:

We did a safari in Kenya (Samburu, Mt Kenya, Lake Nakaru, Massai Mara) in October '02 and it was simply amazing.

Z
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:49 AM
sandi

The sunsets are beautiful in either month. November is considered the "short rains" season which runs into the 2nd wk Dec. That said, we've always traveled in November and have had thunderstorms over night twice - once in Kenya, once in Tanzania, and the rain sounds on the tents were amazing - perfect for sleeping. And had two 1/2-hr showers (more like sprinkles) in Kenya. Those were short, very short, but what's nice about the showers is that they settle the dust on the roads and "no humidity." The rest of the time it was bright and sunny - warm in Kenya, still warmer in Tanzania. Evenings were cool to warm. Though at higher altitudes (Aberdares, Mt.Kenya, Ngorongoro) it was pretty nippy out there.

New rates come out as Nov.1 yearly and November has somewhat lower rates till around Dec 15.

Rates go up over the Christmas holiday till about mid Jan, then taper off till April when the "long rains" occur, but these rates aren't as low as Nov-early Dec or April-May.

We had wonderful game viewing on both trips in both countries. That said, however, I would consider mid-Jan/Feb for the "calving" season in the Serengeti to be a more interesting time for a visit.

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Hello again, I have a link here of a page with a pic in late sept 2002. I think you all will like it. I called it: FIRE AND SILHOUETTE Enjoy.
Thanks, David
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/e54/1/
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

We actually did a trip to Kenya (Mara, Nakuru, Samburu & Mountain Lodge) about two years ago, so right now I'm leaning towards Northern Tanzania. Even though I know it won't be the same sort of experience as Southern Tanzania or Botswana, I really want to spend some time in the Serengeti and also visit the Ngorongoro crater.

So I've just e-mailed a few operators to see what they can do with high hopes and a low budget (we're broke after Botswana). Here's hoping that I'm not being totally unrealistic with what we can do on a tight budget.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Ruthie-
Go to www.ndutu.com and see their 'what's happening' by month there. I always wanted to see the Wildebeest calving season there. It occurs after the full moon in February. Usually around the 6th to 10th of February. I emailed direct with them from the website and was sorry I had to cancel the trip for this past February. The migration spreads out from the Crater practically to the central Serengeti. I just topped the "Tanzania notes" thread for Jules. There's a lot of info from a Chris who went to Tanzania at that time two years ago.
I will be anxious to read your trip report as so far yours have really been the best. I loved the trip you took to the southern circuit of Tanzania and to the CC camps in Botswana. I dare say you seem to do the best on your very own. So glad that you are going again, and so soon too. I do fear that you have been bitten quite hard by the Africa bug. Lucky for us! Liz