Tauck vs. Pacific Delight Tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to take a tour of South Africa and Victoria Falls in 2004. I notice that Tauck Tours has eliminated the Blue Train portion for 2004 which is a disappointment. Pacific Delight offers a trip on the Rovos Rail. Tauck goes to Sabi Sabi, PD to Mala Mala. Does anyone have experience with either of these tours? Are there other upscale companies we should explore?
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 05:19 PM
sandi

There are lots of upscale tour operators but one doesn't necessarily have to pay upscale prices for a trip.

Personally, I would stick with companies that specialize in Africa who tend to get better prices and have a more in depth knowledge of accommodating their clients. And you don't have to do the trip as a "tour" with a group of people (though it might not be a large group). Such specialty operators could put together a trip of things you want to do than a set itinerary. It does take alot of research, guidebooks, questions to a board like this - and then input both ways.

Personally cannot comment on either Blue Train or Rovos, though people who have done both have enjoyed both.

My mind has just gone blank on tour operators (been a very long weekend) but you can do a search on this board or some like:

A&K - very expensive, but gives a very good idea of some itineraries and accommodations. I've only used as a guideline, but won't pay their prices.

Classic Africa - US based
go2africa - African based
Africa Tours - US based
Pulse Tours - Africa based
Park East - US based
Africa Adventure Co. - US based

Just do a general search thru your browser "Africa Safari Tour Operators" and loads will pop up. Then get back to us here.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:06 AM

I have not been to Africa with either of these companies, but did go to Bangkok last year on a package booked through Pacific Delight and it was fantastic. The accommodations and tours that were included exceeded my expectations in every respect. I would not hesitate to recommend Pacific Delight based on my experience with them. As I said, I have not been to Africa with them, but I've heard terrific things about Rovos Rail and Mala Mala. Of course you could book these on your own, and there are lots of other companies that specialize in Africa travel more than Pacific Delight does. So far, I have had a very positive experience booking a portion of my upcoming South Africa trip through Taga Safaris which are based in Johannesburg (www.tagasafaris.co.za). If you do a search you should be able to come up with lots of others that have been recommended here as well.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:00 AM

Took the Tauck tour of South Africa in May 2001, and absolutely loved it. I intend to do it again, was hoping to do it in 2004 as well, but I will wait for the repair of the Blue Train and its return to the itinerary most likely in 2005.

Granted, it was my first trip to Africa, so I have no other safari companies with which to compare, but I had traveled with Tauck previously, and trusted them to do a great job as usual, and they did not fail.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have concerning the trip I took. By the way, May was a great time to go, we had 2 weeks of perfect weather and the Zambezi was near peak flow for a spectacular view of Vic Falls.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I have experience with Tauck in Australia and New Zealand - they were fabulous. I was disappointed that they removed the Blue Train portion for 2004, so know I know why. I'm really in a quandry.