Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

How do I find a reputable tour operator?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just starting to plan a trip to S. Africa that we hope to be a combination of photo safari / beach vacation. It's a little overwhelming. How do I start to narrow down tour operators based on positive customer reviews? We have looked at Kensington, African Portfolio and a couple of others. I would like some unbiased info on how reputable a business is and what their customer satisfaction is. Where to begin?? Any guidance appreciated.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 03:27 PM

There are many companies recommended here but from my own experience, I can recommend highly both Premier Tours and Eyes on Africa. Both trips were to SA and one included Botswana and V.Falls.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM

In the US, you can use Better Business Bureau as one of your sources. Fodors has a guidebook that includes the names of some companies.

Eyes on Africa did a great trip for me. One of the owners is South African. Africa Adventure has done some wonderful trips for me too. Kensington is reputable, though I have not used them.

Fortunately there are many good options that will provide you with a fantastic trip to South Africa.

When you have some itineraries, you can post them here for more comments.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:39 AM

Ask them for references..
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:54 AM

In addition to the positive replies for Eyes on Africa, Premier Tours, so too is African Portfolio. And, do ask for references.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:41 AM

I used Go2Africa based in Cape Town. You will often get better deals using an African based agency.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM

You can also check with the U.S. Tour Operators of America.

www.ustoa.com

This is a professional organization that requires its members to hold a minimum $1,000,000 in liability insurance and to be in business at least 3 years under the same management. You can search its members on the sight. They have a code of ethics and aim to protect consumers from travel agent bankruptcies, the biggest risk you take.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM

These types of organizations rarely, if ever, inspect the actual insurance policies of member agencies. In fact, our company has been a member of ASTA for 35 years and a member of ASTA Top in the past. In no case have we ever been asked for evidence of insurance or audited financials.

LALelie is correct that supplier bankruptcy is the biggest risk with a safari plan. Your best way to prevent this happening to you is to do the following:
1. Work with a US based company that you can fight in US courts. Do all business with this company and arrange the entire safari door-to-door with them.
2. Pay by credit card if you are not buying travel insurance.
3. If you buy travel insurance be sure the company you purchase the safari from is covered for bankruptcy protection. Bankruptcy protection is free additional coverage you get from US travel insurance companies when you buy normal medical cancelation policies. Given that there are over 20,000 travel agents, tour operators, airlines, cruise lines, etc in the USA, the fact that Access America only covers about 300 for bankruptcy protection is scary. For all other travel insurance companies, you must call to find out if the tour operator you chose is covered but Access America lists them on their web site.
http://www.accessamerica.com/AA/CoveredSuppliers.aspx

Of the companies mentioned on this forum, only African Portfolio has this coverage. Some other good outfits that have the coverage are Classic Africa (Connecticut).

Hope this is helpful.

I really should be packing for my safari!

Craig Beal
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Craig, thanks for your input. I wouldn't compare USTOA to ASTA, which in my humble opinion has always been a joke. I do believe that the USTOA DOES require paper showing companies' have financial legs. Or at least that used to be the case.

Also, ALWAYS pay by credit car for eveything, not just of you are not buying insurance. The card company will protect you against services not given.

That's a great statistic about who Access America covers. It show sclearly how many fly-by-night companies are out there. Travel insurance companes will usually send you a list of companies that are not covered. For example, when an airline enters bankruptcy protection, their flights aren't usually covered, so if your flight is dropped or the airline stops flying -- it happens!-- your up Shoot Creek.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Hi Leslie,

I would agree that USTOA has more "leg" than ASTA. But, a company in financial trouble could easily skip payment on their insurance (it costs about 2-3k per year) in their final "hours" before bankruptcy.

I think the credit card and insurance coverage are best so I agree.

Craig Beal
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 09:42 AM

Good point Craig. But I do think another good rule of thumb for any of these outfits is how long they've been in business. My rule is 7 years.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Just reading the thread, I do realize one must take precaution and care to be safe rather than sorry. But, I do sniff a general vibe of mis-trust here ....... let's pay by credit card, take insurance, seek all credible info available, then pick someone with atleast 7 years in the business (good rule, actually so that you go with someone not looking for a quick buck and then shut shop). But, I actually think Operators in Africa should pick and choose their agents wisely and not deal with crooks. There obviously could easily be many attracted to the $$$$ available.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Africa Adventure Company is outstanding. Check references for any operators and talk to people that have actually used operator.