Search

Tanzania Serengeti Safari lodging?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:02 AM
VDB
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania Serengeti Safari lodging?

Hello - I was hoping someone has some advice on Serengeti lodgings. We have not found much info on the EMC mobile camping. We also have a possibility of staying at Serena or Sopa. I have seen mixed reviews of these. Any comments on these 3 accommodations would be very helpful? We are traveling late Jan 2007. Thanks in advance, VDB
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:35 AM

I have stayed at EMC a few times.
In fact, I spent New Years Eve 2005 at EMC near Seronera.

Do you have specific questions? Did you see my pics here? http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/EMC.htm

Eben
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Kind of late to be finalizing lodgings for January 2007 isn't it? I'm not critizing - just wondering if you'll simply have to take what's available given the short notice.

I stayed at EMC's mobile tented camp in the Lobo area last June. It was nice. The tents were very comfortable, and the service was generally very good. The food was good, as well. I really enjoyed the mobile tented camping experience very much.

The only criticism I would have of them was that their table service during meals was pretty amateurish. They really need to find some people with training in how to serve their meals. And, I'm not talking about knowing to serve from the left and clear from the right - I'm talking about getting the food from the platters to the plates without spilling any of it. However, don't take this criticism too strongly. It was a very pleasant stay, which I enjoyed very much.

Staying at a Mobile Tented Camp vs. one of the big lodges is a very different experience. So, it's hard to compare them - it really depends on what kind of experience you're looking for.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM

We just came back and stayed in the Wildlife Lodges (Taranguire Sopa, Serengeti, Ngorogoro and Lake Manyara.) All 3 were great and so was the food. Someone on here said they were only a cut above a hostel, but they were clean comfortable and reasonable.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:45 AM
VDB
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM

LOVED the Seregeti Sopa.
Great rooms, service, food and VIEW.

My Family, at one of the main observationd decks, with the Serengeti behind us:
http://tinyurl.com/u7shm

Me having a drink after driving on the awful dusty road from Ngorongoro
http://tinyurl.com/y72fzt

I gotta find more of my pictures of the hotel...

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:35 PM

We are staying at Olakira Camp in the Serengeti in January. It is a luxury mobile camp that follows the migration. Check Asilia Lodges website. They own this camp, as well as several others in the Serengeti including Sayari, Sayari South, and Sunyan. People say it is as luxurious as you can get with a mobile camp, but more importantly they set up camp to take advantage of the wonderous migration. Several people who post have stayed at Olakira recently. I cannot wait to hear what they think. Good luck.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:52 AM

We stayed at the Serengeti Serena this September. The rooms were nice, more upscale/interesting than the Sopa we stayed at (in Tarangire NP). We enjoyed the lounge area and the great view from the pool. The food was tasted very good -- The food there is served buffet style and seemed to be pretty similar day-to-day. Dinner was also some form of bbq meat and/or salad and pasta. Tasted fine, but I got a little bored after two days.

If you go to the Serena, I'd recommend you make sure to check in early (and then go back out on a drive of course). We were out until 6:30pm or so (had some great sightings, one after the other), but when we got to the lodge, they had "rebooked" us to a different property, due to overbooking. Seemed to be a first come, first serve mentality, as our guide/company never heard from Serena until that evening.

We also stayed at Migration Camp -- a little bit spendier, but boy, was it worth it for the luxury experience.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 05:41 AM
VDB
Original Poster

We are happy to hear about the Serena and have heard nothing but good press. We are waitlisted, otherwise we will be at the EMC. Either way seems to be a good choice. Seems everyone agrees that Serena is nicer than Sopa