Tana River Delta to be exploited for Sugarcane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An ecological disaster of the proportions that beleaguered South Africa, when the miners wanted to destroy the dunes off St Lucia, is about to unfold in Kenya.

The government has announced plans to initiate a biodiesel industry through sugar cane cultivation in the Tana River Delta. This pristine tribal fishing area is one of Kenya's last truly wild and unexploited wildernesses. It soon will be the sight of water draining, habitat destroying cane fields. Elephants that once swam in the ocean and lions that prowled the dunes will be forced from the area and we all will have lost something very special.

I don't know how to stop the madness, but we must. The Kenyans have let us down once again.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:41 AM

It's a shame!!!!
There's nothing about it on media...
up this 3d!!!
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:55 AM

It’s been temporarily stopped by the high court in Malindi.
Here’s a website with the latest updates: http://tanariverdelta.org/tana/1048-DSY.html

You can write a protest email to NEMA (National Environment Management Authority)
[email protected]
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Nyamera.

I have received a differing opinion that states it is going ahead albeit about 70 - 100 Km's up the river.

Up river will strangle the delta, makes me feel quite ill!

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Biodiesel appeared on the surface to be a good idea but it has caused untold havoc.

Protest for sure about the Tana River, but protest vocifereously too if your government is doing nothing about the overuse of petrol and other carbon fuels.

It's all related. No point in getting up in arms about this (Kenya sees a money making opportunity) if you sit on your hands at home. Trade down to a smaller car; turn off the air conditioning; walk don't drive, or take public transport.

Every little bit helps. BUT - when push comes to shove the biggest culprits when it comes to carbon emissions are the power generating industries.

So lobby, and lobby hard to get your government to review their energy policy; find out what the connections are between the power generators and the people at the top table. Is that what's stopping progress being made in investing in renewable energy.

We have the technology so why aren't we using it?
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Mkhonzo, I haven’t heard anything about an alternative site, but then I didn’t hear anything about NEMA approving the project and the court stopping it temporarily while I was in Kenya. Nyama on Safaritalk found a development program for Kulalu and Galana Ranches where the Agricultural Development Corporation is looking for investors/operators for a sugar plantation that would definitely affect the river and the local wildlife. Do they have an investor and approval from NEMA? http://www.ecatradehub.com/reports/r...al.version.pdf

Afterall, you make a very valid point, but if nobody should get up in arms about anything unless starting at home and leading a coherent life, most people would be very quiet. I’ve never owned a car (I do use other people’s cars) and I’ve never lived in a place with A/C (nor have I stayed in a hotel with A/C in Kenya), but I’m definitely sitting on my hands at home, except when voting every 4th year. I waste an awful lot of fossil fuels travelling to and around Kenya, but I’m still upset with Kenya’s National Environment Management Authority for approving the destruction of the Tana River Delta.

There are coastal topis, btw.