Sweetwaters Tented Camp?

Mar 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Sweetwaters Tented Camp?

Do you recommend 1 night or 2 nights at Sweetwaters Tented camp near Mt. Kenya?

I have 3 nights... and am trying to decide between 2 at Sweetwaters and 1 at Sarova Shaba Lodge...... or... 2 nights at Sarova Shaba and 1 night at Sweetwaters.

Any thoughts?

Mar 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Hi,
i just returned from my first trip to Kenya and i stayed at Sweetwaters Tented Camp for 2 nights.( i don't know anything about the other place) Everyone in my group wished that we had another day there....It is very beautiful and peaceful....the best is that there is a waterhole right in front of the tents.....i could sit on a bench under a tree and watch the parade of animals coming by for water.....lovely
Mar 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM

It's an easy choice.

Shaba is a beautiful reserve and away from the area around the lodge it has a real wilderness feel and you may well not see another person all day. However, aspm (animal sightings per hour) are relatively low.

On the contrary, Sweetwater's scenery is best described as pleasant but rather dull (unless you are facing and unclouded Mount Kenya of course, in which case it becomes spectacular). However, there a fair amount of wildlife there and it very easy to see because of the flatness and lack of cover. There are also a number of interesting activities which you can do (note: at extra cost). Plus of course there is watching the wildlife come to the waterhole. Sweetwaters also has nicer accommodation, if that's of any interest.

One night isn't enough time to do either place justice. You'd get a better overall impression of both places if you did the two nights at Shaba, but that is probably not a reason to do it that way unless you are planning to write an article about them for a magazine!

I guess I would recommend against doing a single night at Shaba unless you were going to get there early, leave late and make sure you did a decent amount of driving around.

Mar 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Has anyone experienced the Chimp orphanage at Sweetwaters?
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:51 AM
aby

yes mkhonzo
i've been there a number of times; what would you like to ask about it ?
aby
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
aby

about Shaba vs. Sweetwaters:

i second Kimburu's view
Do not go to Shaba for 1 night !

my personal choice would be:
2 nights Samburu + 1 night Shaba
as the two reserves are close to each other
* if you'd like a water-hole i'd go for the Ark or Mt. Lodge

aby
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:12 AM

My answer would depend on whether you're also staying in Samburu on the same trip so that a 1 night stay at Shaba would be part of a longer time frame in this general area because I don't think it's worth traveling all the way up here for just one night.
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:33 AM

I would vote for two nights in Samburu, not Shaba. Although near each other, Samburu I understand is the superior place (have not been to Samburu). Would only spend one night along the way at Sweetwaters. (Reason, we saw a leopard, lions, elephants, buffalo, cheetahs, everything but rhino in Samburu) Have not been to SW but consensus of itineraries suggested in this forum would confirm. Sandy, where are you when we need your advice?

Kevin from California
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:43 AM

To add to my earlier post, I think Sweetwaters is worthy of two nights, and we were glad we stayed for two, but if your time is limited, one is OK.

Shaba isn't convenient if you're thinking of using it as a base for doing game drives in Samburu (I know many operators do that for whatever reason). Your more likely to have close encounters with a larger variety of game in Samburu. Shaba's scenic beauty and wilderness feeling are its strong points.
Mar 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys.... much appreciated
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:44 PM

Hi

I was at Sarova Shaba Lodge last year and can tell you it a great place. The lodge is situated in the Shaba reserve which has a lesser animal density but is some how very classy. We saw leopard and hunting cheetah there and some other nice stuff as well. The lodge is also very close to the Samburu reserve and doing an extended morning safari to Samburu with a packed picnic breakfast is super. For this you should leave at dawn and come back for lunch. Samburu is about 30 mins drive form the Sarova Shaba lodge. Rooms are very good, the food in Sarova is very good. The staff are exceptionally friendly. Do read my trip report for more info.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:52 PM

Sorry Simbakubwa - here the li nk to the trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1

Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:56 PM

Oh dear - Im so sorry the link did not work. I wish this forum allowed one to edit posts/rectify errors. Trying again - heres the corect link...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34844365
Apr 30th, 2007, 05:31 AM

I advise you to take 2 nights at Sweetwaters Tented camp and 1 at Sarova Shaba Lodge and you will be ok infact i have been to both but the most interesting is Sweetwaters and hope you will feel as i did.
Feb 3rd, 2010, 02:01 PM

Can anyone share the cost per night per person for a tent in sweetwaters? I'm planning on going Dec 1-13th.
Thanks!