South Africa..Kruger and sabi sands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have decided we are going to South Africa for 2 weeks to sabi sands/ kruger area (will go to Botwswana the following year). Want to maximize game viewing and see a variety of lodges. Lived in South Africa before so only interested in game viewing. Understand it is winter time so the rates are good. Obvious Mala Mala has to be part of the itenerary....what other suggestions.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention, will be going in August, no specific dates picked yet
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Having been to Mala Mala I think that there are other alternatives.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM

We have been at Mala Mala for 2 nights and Inyati (still in Sabi Sands but in the western part) for the next 2 nights last June. Paid the half and seen the double game viewing at Inyati !! Probably bad luck at Mala Mala. It's up to your budget and number of planned nights.

Will you also selfdrive in Kruger ? We have seen ALL BIG 5 in Kruger in the same morning (!!!!), before heading to Mala Mala !
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

We will not be self driving. Want to stay at private camps.I haven't been to Sabi for a long time, there are so many new camps and several in the other concession areas, so just looking for some variety
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM

I also recommend Kruger -but- game viewing there has been much more erratic for us there than in the Sabi Sands Reserve or Timbavati Reserve. In staying twice at Kruger for total of 7 nights we never saw leopard and saw lions only four times and that viewing was not good. Other game, elephants, buffalo, zebra, giraffe, antelope species have been very good in Kruger for us.

We like to fly into JNB, rent a car and spend a few days in Kruger before going to the private (expensive) safari camps. Kruger provides a "buffer" and warm up at very reasonable cost. But maybe since you have lived in SA you may have already seen a lot of Kruger.

As for Sabi Sand and Timbavati Reserves, I have stayed at MalaMala, Leopard Hills, and Kings Camp and liked them all.

regards - tom
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Maybe Phinda? It would require another flight and it is a fenced reserve. The 7 different habitats are distinct and scenic. You can do a variety of activities from traditional game drives to rhino tracking on foot to vehicle tracking of collared leopards to flying safaris over the ocean to village visits to canoeing, and more.

Phinda has Big 5, though leopard are not seen often. Being a cheetah sanctuary, you will likely see them.

Forest Lodge in the Sand Forest has beautiful glass cottages in a unique setting.

I enjoyed my stay.

King's Camp has me very intrigued, but I've never been there.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM

I would look into Ngala Tented Camp...I loved it after 6 days at Mala Mala. Definitely go to Mala Mala. We have friends that just got back and they went to Mala Mala,Singita and Ngala...hands down best animal viewing was at Mala Mala. You will love being there in August the weather is beautiful...Have fun!!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 03:15 AM

Hi barryozed

I have been to a few of the lodges in the Sabi Sands, and I can fully understand why MalaMala is a must! Gameviewing is certainly my top priority and that is why, for the time being, I am only going to MalaMala.

I am not sure what other lodges to add to your visit in the Sabi Sands. I am sure Kruger is great, but one of my must haves is off roading. I have had good gameviewing and good rangers at Lion Sands, Londolozi, Ulusaba and Singita - but some are now ridiculously expensive or not great gameviewing - so an easy decision for me!

I wouldn't leave your booking too much longer, as also a busy time for some lodges.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Oh, you are just staying in the Sabi Sands and Kruger area. Then probably not Phinda, which is in Kwaza Zulu.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM

I can vouch for Londolozi (CCAfrica in 2006, since reverted to family ownership) in the Sabi Sands. We stayed at Pioneer Camp, one of the smallest camps, and loved it. Terrific food, great service, fabulous rooms (if you care about those things), and wonderous game viewing.