Solo Travel on 2-4 Day Safari Fast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I wanted to ask for help on arranging a 2-4 day safari in East Africa like as soon as possible being my daughter only has two weeks left there in Kenya.
I want her to be able to see all of the wildlife that she can and maybe stay one or two nights in lodge, NO Camping. She will want lots of pictures (which means patient driver) and a very safe lodging facility with secure locking door for single female and a driver that will have her back to the lodge before dark. It would be great if this could be worked out for sometime around or between July 27-31, however, she can have other days avaiable between now and then too. She will fly out the 31st so I am hoping to get something lined up pretty quick, but I do work full time too and with the 7 hour time difference, it makes things very difficult. Does anyone know any reputable companies to fit one more in on a tour? I have looked at reviews and know we don't want Ben at Good Earth or the Serengenti ? spelling because of the switching folks around, but I am just in need of companies that will respond quickly and/or be able to work around the phone situation and time difference, as I am in Florida. Also does anyone know the age requirement for traveling on a safari by yourself?
Thanks so much for anything you guys can help with, I love this travel website! Very new at this site and this International stuff.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Some Kenya based tour operators that have been used and recommended by posters here:

Eastern & Southern Safaris
Gamewatchers Safaris
Southern Cross Safaris

Availability may be an issue if she doesn't want to camp. How old is she and where is she right now? If she's in Nairobi, I would think that it might be easier for her to arrange this since she's right there rather than you emailing tour operators back and forth. Good luck!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM

I missed the part where you asked about joining a tour. I don't think any of the the operators I listed above typically put groups together, but rather focus on private/custom trips.

Maybe Gametrackers Safaris (not to be confused with Gamewatchers) could help. I know they put groups together for their camping safaris. Not sure about non-camping ones.

Does she specifically <i>want</i> to travel with others? Is it a budget issue?

She could also fly out to the lodge/camp and use their vehicles/guides for game drives. She would then be sharing game drives with other guests from the same lodge/camp.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Patty, she is 18 and staying in Kenya. This is pretty sudden, but she has not really been shown around as we thought she would, and she wanted to go on a safari trip but we had no idea how to make this happen. I was discouraging this issue because of the safety warnings and I would totally change the subject if it even got brought up(she is my only girl), but now that she has made it two weeks safe, I am wanting her to get out and explore and she is sooooo ready! She loves to take pictures and has her Cannon ready to go! She sure is a brave kid and very adventurous.
The more I read about these tours doing boating, rafting, flying, I just don't know what to do. The flight thing, how does that work?
I was thinking maybe a sunrise driving tour two or 3 days, but I am so in the dark on this situation.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

oh and she loves people, so that would be great to join a team, how do I request something like that?
thank you very much
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Kennedy's company does safari tours, as well. Perhaps you could e-mail him and see if he's got any groups that could take one more person. See the &quot;Kennedy&quot; thread for his e-mail addresses. Also, as suggested, she could check around Nairobi and see what's available. Nature Expeditions is another reputable safari outfitter in Nairobi. I think she would probably want to do this in Kenya, rather than go to the expense of traveling to Tanzania (another visa, transportation, etc.)
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

shaytay, thank you very much, kennedy will be searched and checked out. I was just over looking at Gamewatchers website to see what they had to offer. I have to go to bed now and work tomorrow, then rush home at 2pm our time to call her Africa time and ask her preference, I honestly don't think she has a clue as to what is available because I just started research when she left on the travel blogs, but I don't think she did any of that prior to going because she is actually volunteering in a school there, but she will be able to take off whatever days this thing can be arranged, so I need to work fast. Will check back tomorrow night on here and see if anyone has anything else and maybe throw up the ideas I am tossing around so far. One with gamewatchers that I liked so far was: Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara 3 nights 4 days Lake Nakuru National Park, in the Great Rift Valley, for a night and then on to the Masai Mara Game reserve for 2 nights. This safari gives you the opportunity to visit one of the Rift Valley lakes - ... just not sure about lodges, it does not specify, but I would need to know about that for sure. Still searching, onto kennedy, thanks a lot for any help offered!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM

<i>oh and she loves people, so that would be great to join a team, how do I request something like that?</i>

It's just be a matter of contacting different operators and seeing which ones have groups going with space for one more. It'll be hit or miss and may not be the exact dates you want nor the exact itinerary you want. You might need to be pretty flexible. I'd start with an email to Gametrackers.

Otherwise, go with a private tour which means she'll have her own vehicle and guide. She'll be able to choose the itinerary, but this can be costly for a solo traveler.

Third option is to fly to her destination. Flights to the parks depart from Nairobi Wilson airport. On arrival, she'll be picked up by the lodge or camp at the airstrip and they'll provide game drives where she goes out with other guests. At the end of her stay, the lodge or camp would drop her back off at the airstrip to fly back to Nairobi Wilson airport.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM
aby

Hi cwoods

you've got some very good advice from Patty &amp; ShayTay
It's on a very short notice on one hand, but since on the other hand you need one room only chances are good...
(it's only a matter of price sometimes since Mara has got so many lodges &amp; camps)

sometimes they have a package deal of flights + 2-3 nights at a lodge

I second Patty about GameTrackers (though you did write Game<font color="red">watchers</font
Take into account that not all dates declared finally enlist enough clients for the tour to materialize...
check whether it's camping or lodges

If you decide on an independant deal of flights+lodge+game drives
i can also recommend &quot;Liberty&quot; based in Nairobi http://www.liberty-international.inf...obi/index.html
i know the managers, Annie &amp; Richard personally &amp; sure they'll take good care of your daughter

good luck

aby
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

thank you very much for the additional information aby, shaytay and patty. I am stressing so bad right now over this because I work and can't call these places as I really need to arrange and pay for this and get it lined up for her right away, so she will be able to plan for it. She did not even take any safari clothing..., so she has some planning from her end to do too before going.
Anyway, I have emailed liberty, gamewatchers (is that right?), east &amp; southern safari and I think one more. One of them emailed back asking me who I was working with oh and added kindly please tell us...I am not working with anyone, what does he mean, I was just asking about our situation...
I cannot find Roys Safari or Kennedy either one. I am new to all of this blog stuff and I tried and tried to enter the two names in the search, but other stuff came up.
She says she is okay with tented IF it is fenced or protected in some way and without insect entry access...lol
I am more comfortable with lodging for her, however, it still needs to be safe.
She does want Masai Mara &amp; anywhere from 2-5 days is fine, she does have a house she is staying at in Kenya, but I have no idea if it is even feasible for her to go there after the tour (as in too far to drive, she is welcome there anytime) or what if we cannot find somewhere for her to stay safe. Any advice is GREAT as I am really getting confused with all of the different blogs on the main Africa site. Thank you sooo much.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Kennedy Muthoka of Waymark Safaris can be reached at [email protected].
He has been highly recommended by people here on Fodor's who have used him, myself included. He may have a group going out that your daughter could join.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Wow Shaytay, you are AWESOME! Thank you so much. I have now sent an email to kennedy and hope with all hopes he gets back with me soon. We have about 7 options so far and they range from $120. day camping safari up to $1350. I can see how they get a bit crazy on this stuff, seems like I could private charter this event for less than that...lol
Here is what was offered so far:
** Lets go safari: $1105.,however website stated $215. single occupancy?
Driving.
** SKyview: $1140. Flight included.
** Brogibro: $120.day per person, but only opening for 21st weekend. Driving
** Sardius Tours: $1350. Driving
** African Serendip: No openings.
** Amicabre Travel: $510. 3 days Driving or $680. 4 days Masai Mara &amp; Lake Nakuru Driving, Double room in lodges.
** AMicabre Travel 2nd option: $570 for 3 days Masai Mara or $760. 4 days Masai Mara &amp; Lake Nakuru, Single room in lodges.
** Go2Africa: Actually Called my cell phone today, YEAH!!! I was so happy because I want to talk to them. Anyway, I am waiting on quote for flying, they could not fit her in on driving tour, just game drives...
** Kennedy: Waiting on reply, email sent!, So any opinions? Our budget was $300-$500. without tips. Thanks to anyone that will advise.