Search

Good Earth Southern Tanz

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Earth Southern Tanz

Hi
We are planning a trip to Southern Tanz in Sept '06. Have been in touch with Foxes and have a price on an 11 night trip through them basically
1 dive DAR to Mikumi(3 nights)
2 fly to Ruaha (4 nights)
3 fly to Selous (4 nights)
fly back to DAR
I have just found Good Earths south Tanz trip at http://www.goodearthtours.com/southern_tanzania.html
This is several 100 dollars cheaper than our current itinerary. Of course I realise this is all driving. I would probably ask Good Earth to add a night or two at Ruaha but their itin at the moment is
1 drive to Selous (4 nights)
2 drive to Mikumi (1 night)
3 drive to Ruaha(2 nigths would want to do 4)
4 drive to Mikumi (1 night)

The accomidations are the same in each itin except for Mikumi.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the two different intins, or any idea at all what driving condiditons are like. I should mention that we actually really enjoy overland type travel to get out and see some different areas.

Thanks in advance to you all

J
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Jules,
I have absolutely no idea, but since so many people have been ecstatic with the Foxes, and their itinerary is exactly of your choosing, and it's only a few hundred $ cheaper and it includes flying and and and...

Could you ask the Foxes to include a bit more driving on your trip? Maybe cut one flight, or is that out of the question? I totally know what you mean about road travel; I like it too.

I've wondered myself a few times how Good Earth's listed So. Circuit price could be so low given the accommodations.

I'm so jealous, by the way.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

One other thing I forgot to mention is that Good Earth guarantee a window seat but Foxes are adding a supplemental price for that guarantee. But Foxes do include laundry........

Leely I understand what you are saying entirely I just came across this Good Earth one and thought I would throw it out there for some expert comments from you folks.

Thanks J
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:11 PM

I can't answer your questions but I'd also be interested to know what the approx. drive times and conditions are like.

Would you mind letting me know the cost of your 11 night itinerary with Foxes?
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:20 PM

I too would be interested in the drive times with Good Earth and the Foxes itinerary cost. I've heard nothing but raves about Foxes. Thank you.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

I have the Foxes pricing at home so I will have to check it when I get there. I too have heard many good things about Foxes and felt very comfortable with them but when I saw this GE itin I thought I would explore a little bit.
Thanks J
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:43 PM

But you're still doing the gorilla trek, right?

I care less about the pricing--at this point I'm neck-deep in Northern Circuit.

I am curious, however, what the drive times are. I wonder if anyone in Fodorland has driven between the southern parks?
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:43 PM

That can be alot of driving. I personally don't mind as that gives one a chance to see what the rest of the country is like. In Foxes itinerary, the what happens the rest of the day when you fly? Is there extra game viewing or is the whole day a transfer, hurry up and wait?
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Leely Yes the gorilla trekking is now the main focus of the trip and we will work southern Tanz around that.

Thanks J
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Hi Jules,
Glad to see you are seriously thinking of southern Tanzania. Don't know if I will be of much help. We enjoyed the flying aspect of trip via Foxes. Arrived at destination nice and fresh and ready for game drive or boat ride same day. Plus, at the camps you can see game right at the "doorstep". Don't know what conditions at Ruaha NP are like in September but if river is really low than game should be that much more concentrated there making for even better conditions than we had in June (which were great!). As I mentioned in report on trip filed on this board we probably would cut back on Selous stay in favor of extra time in Ruaha. Also, we had "window" seats on all our drives in all three areas but then again it was mid to late June and visitors to camps were light compared to what they might be in Sept. Without paying supplement. Sorry I can not comment on driving alternative as we flew. Dick
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Hello,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm not familiar with 'Foxes' -- is this a safari company, or are you arranging your trip through the Fox family who have camps in Southern Tanz?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Julian,
I believe jules is referring to the safari company run by the Fox family -

http://www.tanzaniasafaris.info/

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Thanks Patty!

I noticed Mwagusi doesn't appear in the Ruaha section of the site -- is the camp run by someone else now?

Cheers,
Julian