"Letting Down" an operator

Oct 25th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

"Letting Down" an operator

When we send out various itineraries to different operators, work with a few on fine tuning it, and then finally select one, what is the best way to let the others off the hook. Is it best to be the proud consumer and say we found better value or service elsewhere? Or if the people have been a help do we just say it didn't work out? It's so small over there that if you say you're not going they might find out you went anyhow? Anyway, just wondering what others have done. Thanks.
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Personally, I think honesty and sincerity is the best approach. I was up front from the get-go and told them that I had another company working on an itinerary, as well. Thank them for all the work they've done, and then tell them that another company was a better fit for what you needed.
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Having said that, I think it's only fair to do your research here or elsewhere; have some ideas about where you want to go, what you want to see, where you'd like to stay, etc., so that you don't have people spending an inordinate amount of time doing work for you for nothing. (Probably a no-brainer, but just had to put that out there...)
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:44 AM

I too would just provide an honest answer and thank them for their time. It may actually help them improve their services by understanding why another operator was chosen.
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM

I would also tell them honestly and candidly why I elected to go elsewhere.

But, I have avoided that confrontation because I prefer to do exhaustive reseach before hand and typically send my itinerary to one recommended operator. Only if that operator returned with an outrageous price would I go elsewhere, and so far, I have not been offended by any quotes.

Oct 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM

You know, I hate to say this but sometimes it just comes down to a "gut" feeling. You have two operators same level of responsiveness, references, prices, itineraries the whole bag...Many years ago, I felt so bad about NOT choosing a company, that I I told a "white" lie about why we couldnt' use them.. something about deciding on another destination.. but as I've gotten older I've just been up front. "No reflection on you or your service, but we've opted to go with another provider"... also, I too am very straightforward when in the compare and contrast stage of trip planning, I hate to make someone spend a lot of time with me not knowing that we are looking at a variety of options.
Oct 25th, 2005, 04:08 PM
DJE

I totally agree with all the other comments that being honest is the best way to go. We did this with 2 operators that we were in touch with for a second trip to Africa next year.

Both were informed that we had another outfit pricing out our itinerary etc. and we also did all of the research in terms of places we wanted to stay and days at each spot, what type of vehicle we wanted for the self driving portion of the trip, etc.

This made it much easier to compare an identical itinerary and each quote and then making the final choice and informing the outfit that was not chosen giving the reason for our decision. Each operator came highly recommended and stated that they appreciated the fact that we were upfront with them from the start.

Search this Thread