Sleeper Train / Insects

Sep 7th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Sleeper Train / Insects

Will be going to egypt the last week in September. Just wondering how comfortable the sitting trains are, or should we pay the extra money for the sleeper train ($35.00 each way / per person)?
Also are the bugs bad this time of the year? Should I bring some good bug spray along?
Thanks
TIm
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:09 PM

I found the seats to be larger and much more comfortable than airline seats. They recline and there is a foot rest. Haven't been on the sleeper train but have heard that it is comfortable and if I were traveling at night, I'd probably take that.
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:44 PM

It is a very long journey by train (assuming you mean Luxor or Asswan from Cairo)... would not be wise to waste a whole day travelling (ie. departing in the morning). Better take the overnight train. Obviously a sleeping train would be more comfortable. You are the one to judge the value of your comfort.

As for bugs... depending on where you stay there might be some mosquitoes (due to the Nile and plantations etc..). However you do not need to carry sprays etc with you, if you need any just buy it from a local pharmacy / store... they are everywhere and will be tuned to 'deal' with the local insects population
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM

What do you see while you're on the train on this route?
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

I don't think we will see much from the train. It is a overnight train to Aswan. I think that we will probaly spend the extra money and go with the sleeper train, since it is so far.
Thanks everyone for the info
Tim

Search this Thread