Singita Travel Time

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singita Travel Time

Hi,

My fiancee and I are working on our honeymoon to South Africa, and are planning to stay about 5 nights at Singita. We are trying to decide if we want to stay all five nights at the same lodge, or transfer between them. I think we are definitly interested in staying at Ebony, and then maybe traveling to Lebombo. Can someone help with the following questions?

1. Would it be best to stay at two different lodges or one given that we are there for five nights?

2. What is the travel time, either via air or ground between the Sabi Sand reserve and the Singita Kruger Reserve?

3. Would you recommend Singita Sweni or Lebombo?

Thanks for your help,
Chris
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Hello Chris,

I just returned from a trip which included both Singita Lebombo and Londolozi (next door to Singita Sabi Sands). I found that I had excellent game-viewing at both places, with enough variety to make visiting both of them worthwhile. You'll see larger herds of ellies, antelope, and buffalo at Lebombo, as well as the pride of 22 lions. I also had superb rhino sightings with crashes of up to 6 rhinos. Leopard sightings awill be better in the Sabi Sands, and you'll be able to get closer to the animals as they are more used to vehicles.

Personally, I'd do three nights at each lodge if I could, or three in the Sabi Sands and two at Lebombo.

Transfers between the lodges are normally by air (about an hour). It is probably possible to do a ground transfer but it would take several hours (running the risk of losing out on your game drive time) and will probably cost more than the flight does.

I stayed at Lebombo but visited Sweni as well. They're both lovely -- Lebombo perches on the side of the mountain and has sweeping views towards Mozambique, whereas Sweni is down by the banks of the river with great birding and gameviewing of animals coming down to drink. Both lodges are spare and elegant with a modern aesthetic, with Sweni having a cosier feel due to its smaller size while Lebombo is more light and airy. I think it's really a matter of taste more than anything else.

NB both lodges are due for a soft refurbishment which will see the current green-tinted colour scheme replaced by a blue-tinted one. There are no major structural changes planned.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Hi Julian, how is Londolozi coming along after the refurbishments? Did you stay at Tree camp?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Welcome back Julian! What does NB mean in many of your posts?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:50 PM
bat

Hi Dennis--not jasher but . . .

NB= nota bene

Latin, directing attention to something
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM

thanks bat. knew it wasn't newborn, northbound or new brunswick.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:14 PM
bat

good ones Dennis!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Julian, any recs on guides or suites at Lebombo? Thanks!