Search

Exeter Dulini, River or Leadwood

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exeter Dulini, River or Leadwood

Hi everyone,

I am heading to the sabi sands in December and I will be booking through mtbeds. Which of the above mentioned lodges should I choose? I know they are similiar but which one stands out above the rest??

Regards,
JP
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Hi JP,

You have indicated in a previous post that you know the above lodges well enough to give others advice on them, yet in subsequent posts you seem not to know much about these lodges. Perhaps you are wanting to compare your experience with others??

See your fourth paragraph.

Author: JPhermanus
Date: 05/08/2007, 02:19 pm

Hello nancie,

I've been at 98% of the lodges in the Sabi Sands. If you are purely going for great game viewing, Mala Mala will be your best bet. The guides at Mala Mala are also very good. Main Camp's accommodation is not up to standard with the rest of the Sabi Sands lodges but Rattray's Camp is definitely! Rattray's is beautiful.

Londolozi is very similar to Mala Mala regarding game viewing. There are 4 camps at Londolozi. Varty Camp: The original camp of the Varty's and the biggest of the 4. Rooms are on par with Mala Mala Main Camp. Tree Camp: Tree camp is perfect for a honeymoon. Bigger rooms and very private. Pioneer camp and Founders camp are very similar with Pioneer being a bit more intimate.

The Singita lodge is the most expensive lodge in the Sabi Sands. There accommodation is ultra luxurious and personally I think it's over the top. Game viewing is very good. Singita shares traversing land with Londolozi.

But if you are looking for an all round good safari experience, I will go with Exeter Leadwood, Dulini or River lodge. Exeter Leadwood's rooms are arguably the most luxurious in the Sabi Sands without going over the top. To me this is the most beautiful lodge in South Africa. All the Exeter lodges(Leadwood, Dulini and River) are operated by CC Africa. Every ranger is put through the paces at Phinda Ranger School. It is brilliant.

Leopard Hills is very similar to Exeter regarding gameviewing because they traverse on the same land. Game viewing is superb! The Accommodation is not as good as Exeter Leadwood or River.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that you will be able to spend a bit more time at sightings at Mala Mala, Londolozi and Singita than at Exeter and Leopard Hills. The reason for this being that Mala Mala, Singita and Londolozi own their own traversing area where as all the lodges in the Western Sector drive on the same traversing area. Do not for one moment think that it will become crouded in the west. YOu get minimum 20 minutes with the animal(s) before going to the next exciting sighting.

Hope this helps,

JP
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:40 PM

JPhermanus

OOOOOOPS!!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Well done Mancfi!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM

JP - are you for real or a tout for some of these lodges? You need to be more clever. Get another user name to ask questions that you want to push the answer for. Then you can reply to that user (you) with your push.
Thanks mancfi.
regards - tom
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:43 AM

Yes Jphermanus. That was a very big ooops! Good one mancfi!

I am new to fodors and see that very few subscribers go to Kruger itself(excluding the private lodges). I would love to go to Sabi Sands!

Jphermanus clearly showed some ignorance but let's go on with the thread. I haven't been to any of these lodges. Has anyone else??

Regards from a very cold Plettenberg bay!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:24 AM

I've was at Exeter River last year and saw the others. Of all the lodges we visited (20 some) the wildlife viewing from our room was by far the best there. I've posted about this before but to summarize we saw lions on a buffalo kill, baboons, hyenas harassing hippos, elephants, a giant kingfisher, etc all from our room. We skipped afternoon drives and watched the action from our plunge pool. Very enjoyable! CCAfrica had just taken over and they were in transition but everything was fine.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:32 AM

Hey Tuckeg! So how was the rest of the game viewing(while actually being out on the game drive vehicle,lol)??
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:36 PM

JPhermanus are you for real?
I just could not stop laughing.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:47 PM

This explains my laughter and I see you have postponed your trip until December. Hopefully by that time you have made up your mind

07/30/2007, 12:50 pm
Hi everyone,

I am heading to the sabi sands in December and I will be booking through mtbeds. Which of the above mentioned lodges should I choose? I know they are similiar but which one stands out above the rest??

Regards,
JP

Date: 05/27/2007, 02:57 am
My family and I are considering going to Exeter lodge in the SSGR in July. Is this a good time to go? Please share any experiences you had at Exeter.

Regards,

JP
Date: 05/14/2007, 01:42 pm
My family and I are contemplating over going to Exeter Private game lodge in July or just to Kruger. Can anyone share there experiences at Exeter with me please?

Date: 05/15/2007, 11:09 am
My family and I have decided to stay at Exeter Dulini. Which ranger and which room number at Dulini should I request?

Regards,

JP

Date: 04/26/2007, 09:00 am
Hello,

My family and I are going to these two lodges in July. Does anybody have any comments regarding the 2 camps?

Thanks,

JP
Date: 04/23/2007, 01:10 pm
Hi,

Here are the possibilities of my trip in July 2007.

1 night at Kirkman's + 1 night at Dulini
or
1 night at River lodge + 1 night at Dulini

Please help me decide!

Jp
Kirkman's or River lodge.

Date: 04/22/2007, 03:37 pm
Hello,

We are considering these two lodges. Which should I go for? We staying at Olifants Camp in Kruger for 5 nights and then go to either of these 2 camps for 2 nights.

Please help,

JP

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 12:28 PM

We were traveling for 7 months and visited a lot of places in the Sabi Sands so the drive viewing blurs together. I am finally getting my photos together and will check the Exeter ones and that should help me remember what we saw on drives. I'll post here when I do.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM

Hi George,

I was at Exeter Dulini in August 2006. Saw the male lion co-alition of 6 (former eyerfield), Otthawa pride, xemungwe pride(sp?), the sand river female lionesses.....

Saw a female leopard hunt and kill nyala and mount it up a tree.....

Hari
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM

Hi Hari,

We were at River from August 31 to Sept 3, so about the same time as you. I haven't had a chance to check the photos yet but will soon. Sounds like you had some great sightings.

George