Singita Lebombo

Mar 5th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Singita Lebombo

Does anyone have any information on this new addition to the Singita portfolio? When I last visited Kruger I stayed for one night at Satara, and found the game viewing incredible along the S100, which runs east from Satara. Does anyone know if the new Singita lodge is in this area, and if so, does it prevent independent visitors from exploring the area east of Satara on the S100? Thanks
Mar 5th, 2003, 04:12 PM

The only pertinent information one needs to know is that with the current exchange rates, Singita Lebombo is $1,700 USD PER NIGHT!!!

I stayed at Singita last year and while it was beautiful, I would not pay the current tariff of $1700 or even the former tariff that I paid of about $1150 per night.

There are some great looking places out there for 1/3 the price of Singita.
Singita, unlike many of the game reserves, does not even offer a low season discount.

During my stay last year in Southern Africa, I stayed at Singita for $1150 per night but was able to get a 50% discount at Matetsi Private Game Reserve and paid only $330 per night. While Singita was a much better place, it was not worth $820 a night more as both places featured morning and night game drives, private plunge pools, great accomodations and friendly staff.
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I have absolutely no intention of staying there, but my concern is whether this new private concession blocks public access to areas east of Satara, and more specifically, does it block public access to the S100.
Mar 6th, 2003, 06:17 PM

I would be very interested in hearing impressions of Singita Lebombo from someone who has stayed there. Did you feel you got good value for money? Some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing. It could be that Lebombo is over-the-top amazing. I'd be interested in finding out. My stay at Singita last year was a perfect moment in my life. It was worth the cost in dollars.
Mar 6th, 2003, 06:45 PM

girlpolo,

"Some people know the price of everything but the value of nothing."

In response...

"If Singita is once able to charge me for triple the price of other top-notch game reserves, shame on them."

"If Singita is able to twice charge me for triple the price other top-notch game reserves, shame on me."

I, too, loved every second at Singita but it does not mean that it has blinded me to the fact that they are outrageously overpriced. There are SO MANY other quality game reserves out there that are available for so much less money that offer similar accomodations.

Other TOP end game lodges include Leopard Hills for 50% of the price, Royal Malewane for 65% of the price during low season and Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge for 60% of the price during low season.

Then there are other GREAT looking game lodges such as (Djuma) Vuyatela, Lion Sands and Jaci's Safari Lodge/Tree Lodge for less than 1/3 the price of Singita. Vuyatela is a brand new lodge and features a private plunge pool just like Singita.

Then there is the next level down of nice looking lodges such as Inyati, Djuma (Bush Lodge) and Chitwa Chitwa. Now you can stay four nights for the price of one night at Singita.

To give $1,700 USD per night to Singita is utterly ridiculous. I paid for Singita once and I paid for my education. That education taught me, as I stated in my original post, that while Singita was incredible, it was not worth quadruple the price of Matetsi Private Game Reserve in Zimbabwe.

girlpolo, I, too, would be interested in hearing from someone that has stayed at Singita LeBombo. However, I would be interested in hearing from that person ONLY if they stayed at a second game reserve that is half the price or less so they could offer a comparison. I met a couple last year at Singita that preferred the Royal Malewane to Singita. At the time, Singita's $1150 USD per night was about 50% higher than the Royal Malewane's then $750 per night. I doubt the report would be any different from a person staying at LeBombo than another great place like Leopard Hills or Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge.

After hearing the manager of Singita talk up Lebombo, I promised myself that I would stay there next time around, but after staying at Matetsi for 30% of the price of Singita, I learned better.

I would be very interested in hearing whether or not you, pologirl, stayed at any other game lodges to compare or if you just fell for Singita hook, line and sinker???
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:30 PM

Roccco, you prowl this website like a lion : ). With all due respect, I stand by my comments regarding Singita. My stay at Leopard Hills last May paled in comparison to the Singita experience in terms of lodging, cuisine, game viewing and the guide's expertise. The rooms at Leopard Hills were worn, there were holes in the mosquito netting, etc... The guides were much younger and less experienced than those at Singita. Keep in mind that at Leopard Hills you must traverse their small property before venturing onto shared property. Singita's property is much, much larger. Also, Singita anticipated my every need before I even sensed it. I found their hospitality remarkable, which is why I'm returning this May. I'll also be staying at Londolozi and Phinda to vary the experience. At the end of the day, we probably all like something different...that's okay. I do feel I'm entitled to my opinion regarding value for money. No bad karma between us, I hope. We do share a love for Africa.
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:49 PM

Girlpolo,

No bad karma at all and thank you for the tip on Leopard Hills. I was considering staying there and very well still may stay there but I guess their pictures on the website are a little misleading. I know all about that after returning from a trip to Chile recently and staying at an awful place in Torres Del Paine national park that had an amazing website.

Are you going to Lebombo in May??? From the little I know, I know it is not near Ebony or Boulders and is right near the Mozambique border.

Just curious who your ranger was during your stay at Singita. My wife and I were with Neal and he was quite a character. He was only about the same age as my wife and I (he was 28, I believe) but he was very knowledgable and very personable. I did feel bad that Singita does not pay their rangers better than he claimed to be paid (we did tip him handsomely).

I, myself, am planning a return to Sabi Sand in early June and will likely stay at (Djuma) Vuyatela and either Leopard Hills, Inyati, Lion Sands or another more reasonably priced, but still supposedly luxurious, lodge.

Are you staying in Cape Town or Joburg at all??? If so, where are you staying this year and where did you stay last time???

I will be at the Twelve Apostles Hotel in Camps Bay and the Michelangelo Hotel in Johannesburg. Unfortunately my entire trip will only span 14 nights, as that is all the time I can get away for this time around.

I would love to hear more about your itenerary and your itenerary of last year (I have already learned more about Leopard Hills than I knew before and I will now question whether or not it is worth 7000 ZAR per night).

Just a couple quick questions about Leopard Hills.

One, besides the holes in the mosquito nets, how were the rooms and how were the views. The views look incredible and to sit in the plunge pool with that view seems like it would be quite memorable. I was too chicken to use the plunge pool at Singita or Matetsi as much as I would have liked to as both places had plenty of game running around (Singita mostly monkeys and Matetsi everything from warthogs to elephants and a little too close to the Zambezi river to not worry about crocodiles).

Two, how was the food at Leopard Hills??? I much preferred the food at Singita to Matetsi, but Matetsi was still fine and a lot better than I had while in Chile at their top places.

Lastly, you stated that at Leopard Hills, they first had to traverse their own areas before going off into shared areas. Will you please elaborate further on this comment??? While in shared areas were there vehicles from a few different game reserves??? While at Singita we occasionally crossed paths with a Londolozi vehicle but that was about it. I do know that Singita, Londolozi and Mala Mala all have huge areas that are exclusively their own.

Thanks for the feedback and I apologize if I came on a little strong.
Mar 7th, 2003, 05:18 PM

Roccco,

Glad to hear we are still friends! : ) I'm happy to give my impressions regarding Leopard Hills. There is one villa that actually has that spectacular view; all the others look out into trees and bush. So, if you stay there, request that particular villa. During my stay, they spoke of refurbishing the accomodations, you could check on that, as well.

I know you realize the game drives a major criteria in choosing lodges. When you look on a map of the Sabi Sand, you'll notice that L.H. is quite small. For this reason, they share traversing rights with several other lodges. By pooling their properties, it provides a larger area for all. HOWEVER, they are committed to driving the first hour on their own small , because I stayed there for 7 nights. And, yes, you do see several other vehicles from neighboring lodges. However, they do limit a particular viewing (leopard cubs, for example), to just 3 vehicles at a time. The cuisine was excellent, but only because of Sally, their chef. You could inquire to see if she is still there. I felt the rangers were very young and a bit immature. But, it depends on who you get, I imagine.

No, I am not going to Lebombo. Primarily because I felt it would take a few years for the game to become accustomed to vehicles. I may be mistaken on this and hope someone contributes to this thread regarding Lebombo. I return to Singita in May and will request my Ranger, Collen. He was superb. Hope this helps a bit!
Mar 7th, 2003, 06:02 PM

Thanks and have fun at Singita!!!

(I, myself, am going to give myself an aneurysm trying to figure out where to go on safari this year. At the moment I am leaning towards Zambia's South Luangwa National Park but getting there seems to be a real hassle requiring a minimum of two flights from Johannesburg.)
Mar 30th, 2003, 08:13 PM

SINGITA end of August, 2002 $800 /night.
4 nights to feel amazing, worth every penny, excellent service, 3 to 1 ratio,great food. best accommodations ever, outdoor shower by the river watching the animals run around........enough said.

Mar 30th, 2003, 08:38 PM

Dita,

Did you pay $800 per person per night or $800 per ROOM per night???

If it is the latter and you paid $800 per room per night, please let me know immediately where you found that rate. I'd cancel the Garden Route for four nights in a heartbeat if I could stay at Singita for $800 per night.

Thanks.
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:49 PM

Dear Roccco,

Now I'm changing the topic-excuse me. I left you a message under your posting re: Michael regarding a lodge that people who live in SA go to. Check it out.

Search this Thread