Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

If given the opportunity to stay at Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge for <$500 USD per night....

If given the opportunity to stay at Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge for <$500 USD per night....

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would you take it over the Garden Route at a place that is nearly the same price like Tsala Treetop Lodge???

Personally, I think it is a typo that Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge is 3,750 ZAR per ROOM per night, but if it is not, it will be a hard deal to pass up.

If, in fact, it is not a typo, I am considering adding a 5th night to my stay at The Twelve Apostles in Cape Town and then flying up to Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge for three nights, if I can get in on the dates I need.

I really would like to compare Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge to Singita. I have no delusions about it possibly being better, but I want to see how much difference there really is.

This would be an incredible opportunity as Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge is usually just as expensive as Singita.

Please don't let this be a typo. I think 8 nights on safari, at three different lodges, broken up by a 5 night stay in Cape Town would be perfect.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

(The only way I would consider returning to Sabi Sand/Kruger, at this time, would be at a place like Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge, Singita or the Royal Malewane, and even then, it would have to be at a discounted rate. While there are other nice places like Vuyatela, Mala Mala and Leopard Hills, they are not nearly in the same league.)
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:25 AM

Where did you see this rate? Certainly seems like a typo, but you never know.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Just as I suspected, it was a typo by Africam and has since been adjusted. It is 3750 ZAR per person per night sharing, not 3750 ZAR per room.

Oh well, I just hope Vuyatela is available on my dates.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:21 PM
rhtt

Mala Mala is among the best situated to see animals. Remember, the higher price is about the room. And you'll be in it only a fraction of the day. If you're intent on paying $500 per night pp, then Singita or Sabi Sabi will do the trick. But look at a map, their size, closeness to Kruger, sightings, etc. before you decide. Rangers are a big part of the overall experience. You're likely to have a good one regardless of where you stay. Have a good trip.

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Thank you all so much for your input. Rocco, you really are a fountain of information and are certainly helping me a great deal in planning my honeymoon to South Africa in August.

I thought the Earth Lodge price was too good to be true but tried booking it anyway. That alerted them to the typo and they subsequently changed it. Well, at least I could dream for a day. I'm now considering Makalali and would be interested in any feedback on it.

As a first-timer to South Africa, I really don't have a clue where to begin. I'm currently planning a three-night safari followed by a 10-day self-drive along the Garden Route/Winelands followed by 4 nights in Cape Town. I've been looking at various lodges but don't think my budget will stretch to Singita or some of the other top lodges.

Can anyone recommend some lodges within a reasonable distance of Jo'burg costing up to 2000 per person per night that can guarantee good sightings with a bit of luxury thrown in?

Thanks again for all the info. It has helped me so much.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Grainne,

Try Jaci's Safari Lodge and Jaci's Tree Lodge in the Northwest Province. It is a beautiful looking lodge and reasonably priced at about your maximum budget per night. It is not that far from Joburg, if you are renting a car and driving, possibly four hours??? I know it is a two hour drive from Sun City.

In the Sabi Sand you can try Djuma Bush Lodge (1,500 ZAR per person per night on many websites) or Djuma Vuyatela (2,013 ZAR per person per night on www.attractiveafrica.com and as high as 2,400 ZAR per night on many others).

I chose Vuyatela over all others because it offers a lot of the same amenities as the top places like Singita and Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge such as plunge pools, massage technicians on staff and elegant surroundings. However, it is 1/3 the price of Singita and 1/2 the price of Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge's low season prices.

Other nice looking lodges in the Sabi Sand include Inyati, available on many websites for 1,500 ZAR per person per night, Idube for about the same price, Chitwa Chitwas for about the same price and Simbambili for about the same price.

I do suggest that you see Victoria Falls, especially considering that this is your honeymoon. It truly is one of the most amazing natural sceneries you will ever see in your life. Getting to Victoria Falls from Joburg is really not that hard. It is a two hour flight and should not cost more than $250 USD per person round trip. I cannot imagine anything more romantic than three nights at The River Club for a honeymoon. Here is a good link, although I don't suggest booking through this company (they are expensive): http://www.classicafrica.com/portfolio/riverclub_1.htm

By shortening your Garden Route trip by three days, you will have an amazing experience in Victoria Falls and The River Club. I have not been there personally but last year I stayed on the Zimbabwe side of the river at Matetsi (one side of the Zambezi is Zambia and the other is Zimbabwe).

The Zambezi River in itself is amazing but once you throw Victoria Falls into the picture, it really is an amazing place.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:23 PM

Thank you all so much for your input. Rocco, you really are a fountain of information and are certainly helping me a great deal in planning my honeymoon to South Africa in August.

I thought the Earth Lodge price was too good to be true but tried booking it anyway. That alerted them to the typo and they subsequently changed it. Well, at least I could dream for a day. I'm now considering Makalali and would be interested in any feedback on it.

As a first-timer to South Africa, I really don't have a clue where to begin. I'm currently planning a three-night safari followed by a 10-day self-drive along the Garden Route/Winelands followed by 4 nights in Cape Town. I've been looking at various lodges but don't think my budget will stretch to Singita or some of the other top lodges.

Can anyone recommend some lodges within a reasonable distance of Jo'burg costing up to 2000 per person per night that can guarantee good sightings with a bit of luxury thrown in?

Thanks again for all the info. It has helped me so much.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Dear Grainne,

One of the lodges I stayed at during my marvellous stay in south africa was Idube Game Lodge e-mail [email protected] attention Sally Kernick www.idube.com They were terrific. Also the afrikaner people I was with go as well to Nkorho Bush lodge: www.nkorho.com These 2 lodges give you lots of personal attention. Let me know
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 01:28 AM

Thank you all for the advice.

I have been looking at all the lodges you recommended and they look really great. Is there any way I could combine a trip to Vic Falls with a safari in the same region or would it be better to split the two up?

Thanks.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Dear Grainne,
My package to zimbabwe was arranged for me by Christo Hauptfleisch-here's his e-mail address:
[email protected]
On subject line put "Assistance on Victoria Falls-please,attention Christo"
then send him my regards-Patricia from canada. Let me know.