Singita - Just Back

Sep 9th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Mary

Singita - Just Back

Hi just back from one of the most fantastic vacations of my life. Singita was fantastic. Rooms were out of this world - we stayed at Boulders. Food was great. Service was top notch. Game drives were great - I honestly don't think that I could have given any suggestions on how to make it better! Glad to answer any questions!

Sep 9th, 2002, 11:50 PM
xxx

Is this at Kruger in South Africa? Does it have a website? More information would be great!

Sep 10th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Mary

Yes, it is in Krueger. Website is Singita.com or do a search here to read all the postings dealing with Singita!

Sep 10th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Rocco

Glad to hear you had a great time, Mary. Just curious...who was your ranger??? When my wife and I were there in March, our tracker was Neal who entertained my wife with his Jim Carrey impressions. We, too, had a great time at Singita and the best vacation ever while in South Africa.

Sep 11th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Mary

Our guide was Lee - he was very good and also got us very close to all the game! Very witty! I think that all the rangers/trackers are quite good there!

Sep 19th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Alee

We had Lee, too. I thought he was great.

Sep 20th, 2002, 12:35 PM
jackie

we had lee too who was great (ask him to take you on a night drive and educate you on the stars). I believe Neal was the cute one? He was great too.

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:03 PM
chris

I am planning a visit to Singita and am interested in any comments you may have on the difference between the different lodges, Ebony and Boulders.

Sep 30th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Sara

Mary,
I loved hearing that Singita is wonderful! We have reservations in Feb. and are terribly exited. Can you help me with the clothes situation. I understand the 25lbs. weight limit and plan on packing sparingly. However, not wanting to look like I went to the safari shop, what should I bring for those 3 days. Washable, I understand is a must. Thanks for your help.

Sara

Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:58 AM
Laura

Hi Mary,

We are going to Singita for our honeymoon at the end of November. We cannot wait! I was wondering what clothes and shoes you recommend for a safari. I have heard a lot of different ideas.

Thanks so much!

Laura

Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:36 PM
Mary

Glad to help. As far as clothes are concerned, we were there in September which was their early spring. Thus days were warm but evenings & mornings were a bit cool - so we went with the layer on/off theory which worked well. Clothing is very casual. Shorts were fine, I also loved the kahki pants I bought at EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) that zipped off into shorts that actually looked good! I also wore a lot of casual capri pants - the ones that tie at the waist that are more sports wear oriented but went well with sandals or sneakers. Footwear can be as simple as teva's which I wore some times and I also had a pair of Merrels (Sports Authority). Not sure what the weather is like there in February or when others are going so that may dictate a change from above. EMS or like stores (you can order from them on the internet) is basically the look most had.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Mary

In regards to Boulders vs Ebony - First of all you can't go wrong with either choice! My impression is that Boulders is a little more casual-open air atmosphere. But it is casually elegant! Their dining was more outdoors (which I loved) and an outdoor bar area. Ebony was a little more formal, although not stuffy. More old world African with Mahogany wood, bar was more inside than outside and dining room was a little more refined (although not stuffy!) I heard one staff member say that he thought Boulders was more a summer lodge and ebony more a winter lodge. Probably due to the more open air feeling at boulders and more enclosed space at Ebony. Like I said both were equally beautiful. Didn't see the rooms at Ebony, I would imagine them to be the same as boulders which were great! Fireplace was lit every night when we returned back from the afternoon safari! The staff there really make for a great experience so you can't go wrong! I would return in a heart beat but next time we will stay for 7 days versus 4!

Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:46 PM
Mary

PS. The wine celler, spa, workout facility was at Boulders. However, I know they are building a larger spa - either at ebony or inbetween the two - don't know the completion date. My guess it was a while off? May want to check!

Search this Thread