Rocco

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocco

I meant to post this idea for you before but it slipped my mind.<BR><BR>Travel Africa magazine have now put all their past articles on their website. It might be a useful resource for you to search regarding information for your upcoming trip.<BR><BR>http://www.travelafricamag.com/<BR><BR>Kavey
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 06:43 AM

Kavey,<BR><BR>Thanks. I have briefly viewed their website a few days ago and was tempted to subscribe but have not yet.<BR><BR>I do see where they have a nice database full of their past articles.<BR><BR>I will likely subscribe tonight since it now looks like I am going to South Luangwa. My wife flipped out (in a bad way) when I told her that we were going to Zimbabwe and that we would have have so many flights within a nine day span.<BR><BR>At least with South Luangwa once you are there, there are no more flights until you leave. I will either stay at Robin Pope's places or Shenton Safaris places. I keep hearing good things about South Luangwa but those lodges that I had picked out in Zimbabwe (Chikwenya, Matusadona Water Wilderness and Makalolo Plains) looked so incredible that I am having a hard time accepting anywhere else.<BR><BR>Oh well, get over it, right? I am sure that South Luangwa will be great.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

I subscribed recently though I'd bought most issues for months.<BR><BR>The magazine had a stand at the Destinations Show last month and were doing a year's subscription for &pound;15 (4 issues, normally 4.25 each) plus a free Bradt Travel guide (I chose South Africa) plus two back issues.<BR><BR>You'll make it to Zimbabwe one day - but I am sure you'll enjoy the trip to South Luangwa very much in the meantime.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Hello Roccco<BR> I have been trying to find out info re Robin Pope-how are the prices? Do you know of anyone who has been? Thanks Patricia
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:16 AM

Roccco<BR><BR>If you have not yet subscribed, go The Africa Guide website - they are offering a 20% to their website visitors who subscribe to Travel Africa Magazine - you have to use the code displayed on this page <BR><BR>http://www.africaguide.com/features/subscrip.htm<BR><BR>when completing the subscription form at the Travel Africa.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Patty,<BR><BR>The prices are on the high side for Robin Pope Safari's. Here is the website address:<BR><BR>www.robinpopesafaris.net<BR><BR>I think the price averages out to almost $650 USD per night but that may include transfers from Mfuwe.<BR><BR>Alternately I am looking at Shenton Safaris:<BR><BR>www.kaingo.com<BR><BR>The prices are much more reasonable and Derek Shenton seems to be a very esteemed guide. The prices for Shenton Safaris is about 1/3 less than for Robin Pope Safaris.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Roccco,<BR><BR> The prices!!! I can't believe these prices-and I always thought it was going to be an inexpensive vacation!!!<BR> Definitely take Shenton safaris hands down. I'll never look at Pope again-haha. Patricia
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 11:14 PM

Rocco,<BR><BR>Also consider Kafunta Safaris and Kafunta River Lodge. Details at www.luangwa.com. I like the location of the lodge.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:39 AM

After talking to yet another agent yesterday, I am beginning to think that it will be better for me if I am able to delay my trip four weeks, perhaps to early July.<BR><BR>The camps don't even open up in South Luangwa until June 01st and I am scheduled to be there 10 days later, as it stands now.<BR><BR>I could conceivably wait until four weeks later and begin my stay until July 09th or so. I realize that this would make for even more lackluster weather in Cape Town, but I have to consider the cost that I am paying for my four nights at the Twelve Apostles in Cape Town, $570 USD, against what I will pay for seven nights in South Luangwa, a minimum of $3,500 USD.<BR><BR>I really do not yet completely understand what happens to the game as seasons change. Do game all the way from the Kruger area migrate up north to Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia??? Will somebody help me with that question???<BR><BR>Anyway, it is a little frustrating as each agent has their own agenda. The agent I spoke to yesterday could not get near the prices I had for Zimbabwe and didn't deal with any South Luangwa companies so instead was trying to steer me to Tanzania, claiming that it was all South African and Botswanan propoganda about Tanzania being overcrowded with lodges and vehicles. I cannot say that I trusted him much.<BR><BR>The bottom line is that I need a place that offers an emphasis on game drives with some game walking (but not a strong emphasis on game walking) and that I can reach in a decent sized airplane (12 seater or more). My wife refuses to fly on anything smaller after a bad experience returning to Joburg from Singita on a FedAir charter last year.<BR><BR>Also, while the game walks do not bother me, I don't believe that they will offer the same photo opportunities that game drives will. Plus, they DO bother my wife a great deal and while I may get her out there once or twice, anything more will not make it a very nice trip for her.<BR><BR>I am beginning to feel like a great riddle has been presented to me that I cannot solve. I need to find an area that has great game viewing that I can reach by a decent sized airplane and that has great game viewing in mid-June to early July and my wife does not want to go to Zimbabwe, ruling out a possible? drive between Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park.<BR><BR>I need help with this one, before I completely resign myself to the Sabi Sand. Thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 07:48 AM

No need to despair. Go to Botswana. June prices are lower than July prices. You don't need to go to Mombo. Try Chief's Camp and Stanley Camp( 2 or 3nts each). The only thing you need to worry about is size of the plane, which chief's camp can confirm directly with you. At Chief's camp you can still do drives in the mombo area which is excellent for predators. Check out www.sanctuarylodges.com . Let us know how you fare with the prices.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:29 AM

king,<BR><BR>From the little I know of Botswana and South Luangwa, Zambia, it seems like the really good game viewing does not begin to July and is really at its best in August and Septmeber.<BR><BR>I would appreciate any feedback from those that have been to Botswana and South Luangwa. <BR><BR>Thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

We went to Namibia followed by Botswana. We left the UK in the middle of June so I guess we were in Botswana about the last week of that month.<BR><BR>We saw a *great* deal of game and birdlife.<BR><BR>I'd be happy to share my photos but cannot personally offer comparisons with other countries/ seasons.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:45 AM
DE

FOR Kavey,<BR>You mention that you went to Namibia. We are also interested in spending a few days there to view the sand dunes and do a balloon ride over the desert region either before or after Botswana. What were your experiences in this area and did you find it well worth visiting. Also any comments on good accommodations. Have been looking at the Sossusvlei Wilderness Camp as a possible place to stay. Thank you.

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

DE I made lots of postings here about my trip - I don't know if a search on Kavey and Namibia would pull them up.<BR><BR>It would be easier if you could have a look and then I could answer further Q.<BR><BR>If you can't find let me know and I can try...<BR><BR>Kind Rgds<BR>Kavey
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Search on &quot;Wolwedans&quot; to bring up some of my past posts.<BR><BR>Look particularly for a thread called &quot;Back from Safari in Namibia and Botswana...&quot;<BR><BR>Note that my email is now [email protected]<BR><BR>Any info I can give I'd be glad to.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:18 PM
DE

FOR Kavey,<BR><BR>Thanks for the info and I have been able to retrieve some of the information which is helpful. DE

Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

You're welcome, do let me know if I can answer anything else.