Sinai w/ the Kids

Jul 16th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Sinai w/ the Kids

Hi All. We are planning a trip next Spring to Egypt. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay that are kid-friendly along the Red Sea coast...anywhere from Sharm to Taba? Our kids will be 7 & 9. I'd love for them to have the chance to revel in some snorkling. Thanks for your help.

Also... Does anyone have an inside scoop on the cheapest days to travel to Egypt from the Northeastern US?
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:39 PM
sandi

Are you planning your itinerary to Egypt on your own or thru a tour operators (either here in the States or in Egypt)? If so, they should have recommendations.

Taba, as I recall, is nothing more than a border crossing and last I heard there was a Hilton, but don't know if it's still there or whether any new ones have opened.

Alot of hotels have opened in towns like Hurgurda (sp) and some others along the coast but most cater to Europeans. Sharm does give you more options, and again, many new hotels have opened there.

Get a guidebook on Egypt and see what new properties have opened in the area and comments contained therein, then have your tour operator recommend, or contact hotels on your own.

As to air from NE, go online to the discount sites (Trevelocity, Expedia, etc), and put in your dates and see what comes up. Egyptair will probably be the cheapest and it's also non-stop. Other carriers will take you via Europe, Israel or Jordan.

A good bet for good airfares is with a tour package from the States, though you don't necessarily have to travel with a group; you can design your own itinerary. Try contacting MISR the Egyptian government tour operator and see what they have available.

Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:51 AM

Hi Willy: Last July, my wife, 17-year old son and I stayed five nights at the Hyatt Regency in Sharm el Sheikh. Although we appeared to be the only Americans in the hotel, the place was packed with tourists from various European and Middle Eastern countries, most of whom had their kids along with them. The Hyatt is very self-contained, with a series of wonderful pools and is situated directly on a hillside which overlooks and leads down to the Red Sea. A short pier extends from the shore into the Red Sea from which you can snorkle. We did so (after renting gear from the Hyatt's beach rental site) and were blown away by all the sea life we saw all around us. Throughout the day the water was calm enough for anyone with a basic ability to swim. Food choices at the Hyatt were also quite good and varied, especially for those with children. In addition to the poolside cafe (with your standard sandwiches/salads/etc.), they have a large "souk" which is a type of outdoor market/restaurant complex open each evening with (in addition to entertainment) loads of food choices, ranging from fast food to middle eastern specialties. Additionally, the hotel's nightly buffet dinner (in the Hyatt's coffee shop) appeared to be quite varied and ample, although the one night we were in there we ordered off the menu. If the kids are old enough to stay by themselves in the room one evening, the hotel also has a fabulous Thai restaurant which the adults might want to try. As far as activities beyond the hotel, the Hyatt is somewhat distant (maybe 3 or 4 miles) from the town of Sharm el Sheikh but taxis are available continuously (one-way cost to or from town ranged from 10 to 20 Egyptian pounds depending on that day's bargaining success) and the Hyatt runs a free shuttle service at scheduled times during the day (as I recall it ran about four times per day/evening in each direction). All in all, we had a great time at the Hyatt in Sharm el Sheikh and would return in a minute. As far as your question concerning cheapest travel days to Egypt, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that question as I haven't a clue. Anyway, have fun. David
Jul 25th, 2003, 09:30 PM

Willy
ABSOLUTELY - Sofitel Sharm El Sheikh - stayed there last year - they have kids club, 4 beaches, stables, tennis centre, nightly staff shows, nightclub, the biggest swimming pool youve ever seen, palygrounds walks, fantastic food and rtestaurants and are really friendly...
You will have the time of your life. Free airport pickup and drop off... its a bit far out of sharm el sheikh town, but the town isnt what you go to sharm for - its the snorkelling - and at sofitel you walk off the sand and straight onto the reef... its magical ... words dont describe...
Jul 27th, 2003, 01:57 AM

For good snorkeling, go to either Sharm or Dahab and look for a hotel with a housereef. We were at Dreams Beach Resort, perfect for snorkeling & scuba (shore dives) but no natural beach - so probably not ideal with kids. In Sharm it's mostly either sandy beach with shallow water or no beach and a housereef.
Jul 29th, 2003, 04:08 PM

sofitel had both - hence i was hooled... in september we were able to get double room for $US60 per night with breakfast (which would fill us up until around 3 pm each day!!

Search this Thread