Cairo with young family?

Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Cairo with young family?

I'm thinking of taking my very active two year old and my five month old to Cairo. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good idea? I'm keen to go, but concerned that the two year old will be at risk from getting ill (e.g. from food, water, dirt - you know what they are like for putting things in their mouths...) or the traffic. Also, are there things there that a two year old would like to do - i.e parks to play in? Any thoughts welcome! Many thanks.
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:00 AM

I hate to tell you it will not be a very good idea (with such young kids) if you want to have an active holiday and do visits etc...

You will be better in a resort by the sea (Sinai, Red Sea) where you have easy access to room, pool, restaurant, beach etc... for napping, changing, eating, sleeping etc...
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:34 AM

I have to agree that it's not the best destination with children that young. We took our son when he was about 11yrs old and it was fascinating for him, especially since they were studying Egypt in school.
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Any chance you can put off your Egypt dream for a few more years - we went when our kids were 11 and 15 and it was wonderful for all of us.

Cairo is a massive, always-busy, and rather dirty city - the dirt part is because it is so dry, sandy and hardly ever rains to wash it all away.

Food and water illness is an issue for all those who travel to Egypt - it could be manageable with kids that young if you were careful - but why bother.

Vising ancient sites is not exactly what kids that age would be interested in. Add to that the almost impossible task of navigating a stroller along sand, uneven paths without curb-cuts - just not my idea of a good time.
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Having just returned, I would have to say that it would be impossible or at least really inadvisable to take a stroller to the majority of sites in Egypt. You go over sand, up wooden ramps, over really uneven pavement, stairs, climbing onto boats you name it. Add to that the extreme heat of many temples (inside Abu Simbel or the Pyramids for example) and the really insane air pollution and I think you'd have a very stressful time in Egypt.. I am sure that you could keep your child from getting sick if you were really careful about what they ate and drank, but some children are pretty particular about what they will or will not consume.. additionally, if they stick so much as a curious finger into the water on the Nile, they run a risk of contracting bilzahria.. whew!If it was me, I would either leave the kids with grandma, or pick a different location.

Search this Thread