Budget airlines in South Africa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any low cost airlines that fly from Johannesburg to Nairobi?
I claimed a first class award ticket from US to Johannesburg for a total cost of $57 plus the miles, but I will need to get to Kenya to do a safari trip. Expedia shows a R/T for about $450 on the 'regular' airlines. I will pay if I have to, but maybe there are some South Aficans here on Fodors forum that could direct me to a less expensive option.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 02:15 PM
sandi

Apparently you don't have anymore miles left! Or do you? If you do have miles left, did you check how many you need to fly intra-Africa?

Otherwise, $450 is pretty good for the distance you're flying. Don't believe there is a Southwest, Jetblue or Ryan Air type carriers in Africa.

Are you doing both South Africa and Kenya on this trip? Yes? No? If no, then why didn't you use the miles just to get to NBO?

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Hello Frequent flyer,
There is a low cost airline called Kulula-try that. Go to www.kulula.com
Good luck.
Hi Sandi
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 02:57 PM
sandi

Hi Patty -

New info is always nice to have.

I checked the site and they only fly within SA.

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Hi Sandi,

Too bad-well, I tried.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 05:58 AM
sandi

Hi Patty -

That's all any of us can do in order to share info that someone can hopefully use!

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

sandi,
when I checked couple of weeks ago, there was no way to get from JNB to NBO using my AA miles. But, I looked into it again last night, because AA is changing it's award ticket charts on August 1, and it looks like there will be a way of getting a free ticket. 35K miles for a BA subsidary 'RegionalAir', I think??? Anyway I have to wait till Aug. 1st to finalize this deal.
So the whole trip will cost me 175K miles to fly first on AA, Cathay Pacific and business on RegionalAir. A 10 day safari, 3 days in Johannesburg, 5 days in Hong Kong and 6 days in Beijing and the surrounding areas.
CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Thanks ladies for trying to help.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 12:28 PM
sandi

AAFrequentFlyer -

Where there's a will there's a way! You just never know when something will fall into your lap.

I gather you have all your FF with AA, and no other program?

I only had AA miles at the beginning, but eventually started accummulating with UA, then NW, and even Delta. Surprisingly, with careful watching of those expiration dates, I've not lost any miles yet.

What I had been thinking for you was BA, as they're an AA partner, but not knowing about their regional carrier; or NW using KLM their partner. of SA a Delta partner.

Anyways, you've got something working for you know and your itinerary seems really interesting. Where will you be doing your safari in Kenya? With which company did you book or did you go direct?

You'll have to tell all when you return - by the way, when will you be going on your trip?

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

I'm leaving on 2/13/04. Other than the flights I have not booked anything yet, so any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I e-mailed 2afrika.com and go2africa.com. Have not heard from them yet. I'm still trying to decide if I should go to Kenya at all. South Africa has some fabulous parks as well, so I'm still open for any and all suggestions.
I will be flying straight through to Johannesburg on the way out and with a 11 day stopover in Hong Kong on the way back.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:50 AM
sandi

AAFrequentFlyer -

The safari experience is wonderful in both Kenya/Tanzania and Southern Africa (SA, Botswana, Zambia, etc.), but they are different.

While we found that in southern Africa we actually had to "look" for animals, rarely did we have to do that in Kenya, especially on the Mara or in the Serengetti in Tanzania - these two areas have wide-open plains.

Both areas have National Park Lands where you're limited to the hours where you can be in the parks from dawn to dusk; while on Private Reserves you have the opportunity to do Night drives. And both locales have both available. There are lots of new luxury camps in East Africa, but for real luxury you find that in Southern Africa.

But if you want "close to nature" and a more "real" experience, "mobile" tented camps give you that, as do "permanent" tented camps. Again, both destinations can provide that.

The weather will be different - in South Africa it will be summer, while in East Africa the temperature is relatively constant, being on the equator - avg. temps about 70 degrees though the mornings and nights can be a bit chilly. Then again, depending on whether you're traveling in open Land Rovers or Pop-top closed vehicles (mostly in Kenya) the wind hitting you in the face in the morning/evening will"get you".

Again, too many choices, yet both will be excellent experiences. All to often we want to see everything, but it doesn't work that way. However, if you don't expect to be passing this way again, you can actually do both. But you will notice when reading these threads, many of us have returned to Africa again and again just to get the most on each trip - unfortunately, unless we have unlimited time and funds this is what we have to do.

See what info you get from the two operators you list and if you want one more to confuse you, you can feel free to check out the tour operator I've used from the States.

www.africasafaris.com

check out the countries from the Left, then select itineraries.
However, Nickie can do whatever you want for the given number of days and budget you're working with.

Then you'll have to make your decision. I'm sure you'll get lots of input from the regulars addicted Africa travelers here.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 02:43 PM
sandi

AAFrequentFlyer -

Did I mention San Andres Islands to you?
If Yes, then I don't recall where (which board) and If Yes, I have some info for you.
If No, ignore this - the heat is getting to me!
Respond back to this thread. Thnx.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

San Andres Island?
No idea.....
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:23 AM
sandi

AAFrequentFlyer -

Thnx for getting back - must be someone else, but it beats me who it was.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Some friends did a Combined Kenya and Tanzania safari with www.safarimagic.com and loved it. They apparently especially loved the personal service.