Search

Simiyu Mobile Camp

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simiyu Mobile Camp

Has anyone stayed at Simiyu Mobile Camp? If so, would you recommend it? It's not one of I've seen come up often on this board and I'm not sure why that is. It looks nice in the pictures, but don't they all

Thanks.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Ndutu is great. We stayed in one of the cottages, which are basic, but very clean and had great food and a terrific experience seeing the Migration. Don't know about the mobile camp.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Simiyu is set up by Tanganyika Wilderness Camps, an offshoot of Kibo Guides. I think it's set up for those persons who don't have enough people for their own mobile tented camp. Our group of 10 had our own TWC camp and I can say that I really enjoyed the experience (even the nocturnal visits from the shrews!) We even had flush toilets.

The food has always been superb in their mobile camps. On my 2005 trip, I took a bank club to Tanzania. The director, who travels for a living, said that the food at the mobile tented camp was the best she had ever had on a trip...this from a woman who regularly went to New York, Paris, etc.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM

We just returned from Simiyu Mobile Camp in Western Serengeti. I would give the camp mixed reviews. The tents are large with ensuite bathroom. However, all water has to be transported by hand by the staff, so we felt like we were imposing sometimes for shower water and flush toilet water. Also, the lights in the tent are run off of car batteries and the light was inconsistent. The food was above average, but only just. Location in June was ideal, as we saw lots of game. I would prefer Kirawira Camp or Grumetti River Camp next time, if we were to return to that area. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM

No, No!

Sometimes the postings here scares me.

Please do not compare mobile camps with permanent camps!

If you had an issue with water being "carried", the problem is with your agent who did not understand your travel preferences and booked the wrong camp for you.

The mobile crews work VERY hard for their clients and they perform wonders with the little resources they have!

Simuyu is a GREAT camp at the top of the line as far as mobiles are concerned. It is comparable with Olakira (Simuyu has better sleep tents, but Olakira has better dining/lounging)

See my pictures here:

http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/TWCSimiyu.htm

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Thanks, Eben. Yes, it would be unfair to compare a permanent camp with a mobile one, but I enjoy both experiences. I would say from your photos that they are able to add a few extras to Simiyu, as they are in one location for a while (sinks in the tent, for instance.)
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Yes, Willy knows his stuff when it comes to camping!

I believe Simuyu is currently his premier camp (and a bit more expensive) so it probably has more "upscale" touches than your Kibo camp?

Do you have pics posted of your regular Kibo camp?
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM

No, I haven't processed my photos, yet and don't think I took any of the inside of the tents. I'll post a link when I get them online. Also, I have photos of the new Lake Burunge Permanent Tented Camp...nice, but out of the way until the Tarangire gate down in that area is opened up.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

So is the main difference (besides not moving) between the permanent tented camps and the mobile tented camps that the permanent ones have more traditional plumbing bathrooms and the mobiles ones don't?
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Traveler

Apart from the obvious, permanent camps have more of the things you don't really need on safari.

One type is not necessarily better (or worse) than the other. It is all about YOU - the client - and your needs, budget and preferences.

For example, if it is more important for you to have plenty of light in your tent so you can write trip reports for Fodors than sitting outside next to the fire, then a permanent camp (or lodge) is a better fit!

I enjoy them all - permanent camps, semi-permanent camps, seasonal camps and mobiles. But then again, I know what I want, when I want it, and where I want it!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM

I was surprised to read such a strong response from climbhighsleeplow. Do you work for the company? After my seventh safari, I think it's perfectly reasonable to write of my impressions in an attempt to help other travellers. Trust me, my concern about the inconsistent lighting had nothing to do with writing my journal for Fodors! To be honest, that's a pretty snide comment from someone who knows nothing about me. The level of service at Simiyu was inconsistent. One evening the staff left the zipper of our tent completely open. The lights were not working and it was after sunset when we returned to our tent. Fortunately, no animal had strayed into our tent. Also, I don't think it's unreasonable to want a toilet to flush when the toilet is actually in your tent! I would never rate Simiyu as a "luxury tented camp". As with anyone who comments on this board, this is only my personal opinion and it may differ from the next person. I gave Simiyu a mixed review...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!