Larsen''s Tented Camp - Samburu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to Larsen's in the past year?

How does it rank to other luxury tented camps like Tortilis or Elephant Pepper camp?

Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 01:32 AM

Hi,

I stayed at the Larsen's Camp less than two years ago when it had just re-opened after it's renovations were completed. The camp is nice with a lovely location and good food. The tents are large and spacious, however not as luxuriously furnished as Tortilis.
regards,
Sonal
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM
sandi

Larsen's is at Samburu and the newest in the area for a camp. Sopa opened a lodge here this year and it has been received well. Intrepid's is the other camp here and is being refurbished which should be completed by start of the '07 season. Other camps here are Elephant Watch, which is lux is a cost way, but their accommodations are a bit eclectic and can be, for some, "strange." But you get outstanding elephant viewing and understanding here. Elsewhere is Joy's Camp, the newest at Shaba, small, intimate and absolutely lovely, but also costs.

Tortilis is at Amboseli, a permanent tent camp, and the most lux property of those you list, with 17 tents, including a new family tent, pool, and if the clouds are good to you - views of Kili. And some of the best for anywhere.

Elephant Pepper in the Mara on private conservation land is a bit northwest of the Mara Triangle, very private with newly refurbished bedouin style tents that look beautiful. A seasonal camp open 9/mo only (closed Apr/May/Nov). Also have a honeymoon suite and family tent. They have new managers this year, but from visit last year had great guides and amazing meals served, even surprise bush breakfasts.

Like Tortilis, Elephant Pepper are both Cheli & Peacock props.

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Went to Larsen's last month. First time to Africa and so can only compare it to other camp visited, Little Governors in the Mara.

I thought the food, service, tents, game, location, were just simply excellent. I would highly recommend.

you might want to take a look at my trip report for more details

Kevin
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,

How does Joy's camp (Shaba) compare to Larsen's Camp (Samburu). Would you recommend one over the other? I see that Joy's camp has a pool !

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 04:12 AM

While I cant compare to the other camps, I would definitely recommend Larsens. I stayed there in May, and was very pleased with the complete experience there. They do the little things that make you want to go back. One example is that on the first day there, I had lunch which I only nibbled on. The chef came to see me that afternoon, concerned that I didnt like the food. I explained that I wasnt very hungry, but for the next 2 days, instead of a menu, he would come and see me in the morning to inquire what I wanted made for my meals... I could order whatever I wanted. I would have gladly ordered off the menu, but it is service like this that in my mind makes the difference...
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 05:01 AM
sandi

simbakuba -

Joy's Camp is located in Shaba, not Samburu. It's new, with about 10-tents that are absolutely beautiful. Yes, a pool. And more expensive than Larsen's. You can find details on the Cheli & Peacock site. Though prices are shown on the website, if working through an outfitter, your prices should be less, of course, also depending on season of travel.

Joy's has only been open this past season with good reviews, but none here have visited or posted. Believe Patty will be visiting in a few months.

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:30 PM
santharamhari

Sandi,

What are the game drive areas, for people staying at either Larsen's or Joy's....is there a possibility to do drives at both Samburu and Shaba? or do they just stick to their immediate area?

Thanks
Hari