Search

Silly bean bag question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silly bean bag question

I am leaving soon on my first safari. I have all the photo gear I think I need except for a bean bag. Can I just use a ziplock bag and fill it? How about just a bag of dry beans from the grocery store? Just wondering if I really need a special bag for this if it is just for resting the camera level on the vehicle. Is there more to the beanbag concept that I am missing?

Thanks,
Carl
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM

I got mine from Kinesis Gear, after a tip from Andy Biggs.

http://kgear.com/

I fill is with sand over there.

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Ziplock will likely wear a hole in the plastic or the seal will pop as you toss the beaner around. Bag of dry beans or rice will work OK except it will also likely wear a hole in the plastic.

You can take a small knapsack or similar and put a bag of beans or rice (cheaper in Arusha) in it and use that.

A local seamstress can sew you a denim bean bag with zipper for about 1/3 the price of buying one from Kinesis or similar and it will work just as well.

Bill
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Carl,

If you are going with a tour group or with a tour company, ask if they have any that they might be able to have in the vehicle for you. I spoke with Narry at Good Earth and he said that has long as I let him know a week ahead that he could have one for me.

Unless you want to buy one or have one made of course...

Carrie
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Depending on how much abuse you think the bag might get, you could try our cheapie method: we took a ziploc freezer bag (the extra-thick kind) and then used double-stick tape to attach rubberized shelf-liner to the outside (the kind you use on shelves so that china and crystal "grip" to the shelf and don't fall over). We were planning to fill it with beans or rice when we got to Africa, but ended up just stuffing it with socks and gloves and it worked great. The shelf liner material really made it "grip" the edge of the vehicle. This was good enough to last through a 3-week trip.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM

As Carrie said check with your operator. Ours had them available for the asking & they worked perfectly.

Have a fantastic trip.

J