shots

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Dick

shots

Hope to be there in June. Wondering which innoculations are really necessary. Not trying to be "cheap" but don't want to go overboard. For sure will have anti-malaria pills in the schedule recommended but wonder about the yellow fever, etc. Any thoughts?<BR>Thanks

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 10:47 PM
xxx

Dick: What country??<BR>You won't need yellow fewer shots in the Northern African countries such as Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt nor in Turkey or South Africa. But in Black Africa such as Senegal, etc.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 08:39 AM
kavey

Dick<BR><BR>I strongly recommend you get the latest information on this from your doctor, and make sure he is looking at an updated list.<BR><BR>This information changes every few months, so taking advice from those of us who visited even a year back may be a dangerous thing to do.<BR><BR>Please do get recent advice.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip...<BR><BR>Kavey<BR><BR>PS Just so you know I am not just one of those scare mongerers who takes every medication known, once i had researched all the information about our destination I actually chose not to take malaria tablets, long story and not as crazy as it sounds, but to make the best decisions I first got latest advice.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Dick

In the excitement of posting I regret not mentioning our trip is to Tanzania. I appreciate the courtesy extended to me that no one really chastised me for the basic error.<BR>Dick

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 05:20 PM
bubba

Go the CDC web site and from there you can get a list of the recommended shots for the country(s) you'll be visiting. Also, contact your local public health dept. and you can get not only the same list but get your shots as well. You might want to get on this if they recommend a Hepatits A shot. It's a series of two shots and the 2nd one comes approx. 4-6 mo.'s after the first.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Thyra

Hi Dick, we are going to Kenya and as for which shots were necessary, I went to the CDC, consulted the safari company who is taking us, and then ended up going to our city travel health clinic. The only thing I can say for certain is it PAYS to shop around. The first place we called was UCLA travel health and we were told it would be $400.00 per person PLUS the malaria meds... we then went to our doctors, and were quoted between $80.00 to $120.00 per shot (if they could get them) and of course insurance wouldn't cover them. We ended up finding that the city health clinic was well informed, less expensive and more convenient. It ended up costing $180.00 per person for Yellow Fever, tetanus, typhoid, Hep A, Polio and Diptheria. Have a great trip.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Dick

Thyra, thanks for the info. Found Health Services on main campus of Penn State is closest source for shots such as one yellow fever. Price quoted was $85 and various pharmacies have anti-malaria pills. Prices vary depending on brand. <BR>Trip plans are well underway. Will check the CDC sources you and others mentioned. Wish you a great trip as well.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Thyra

Thanks Dick, one note regarding Malaria Meds. If I might suggest, it may be in your best interests to do an Internet search on all of the different malaria meds available. Several have some pretty nasty side effects, including Larium, which is widely prescibed in the US but is loosing popularity in Europe and elsewhere for it's potential for really serious (like air lift out time) possible side effects on some people. We ended up going with Malarone which is heinously expensive and must be taken everyday, as opposed to weekly but for us the risk of a reaction was not worth going with the Larium. Though many people take Larium and have no ill effects, I just think it pays to be well informed and make the right choice for you. Have really wonderful time!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:47 AM
Dick

Thyra, yes indeed the side effects certainly caught our attention. A few dollars more may be well worth the peace of mind. Thanks again.<BR>Dick

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:42 AM
Patricia

Dick, I'm taking the same trip as Thyra and I'm also taking malarone. My insurance covered it. All insurances wouldn't cover this (I have Select Blue). I know Thyra's didn't. But it's something to check out. $20 is better than $100! Good luck, and have a great trip.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:00 PM
Dick

Patricia, thanks. Interesting reading on the side effects of the various anti-malaria pills. <BR>Certainly interesting to hear different reactions we get when we mention going to East Africa. <BR>Hope you and Thyra have an enjoyable safari and again thanks for the info.