Shopping in Jerusalem

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Jerusalem

Our family will be going to Israel this June with our synagogue. I'm planning to buy some jewelry for my wife; it will be just past her birthday. Right now I'm thinking of, perhaps, a pendant and earrings of silver and Eilat-stone (I think that's what it's called). We're also hoping to pick up a painting that we can bring home.
We'll be staying in Jerusalem most of the trip, so that's where I'd be concentrating my shopping. Are there any particular shops/jewelers/galleries I should look for? (I'm hoping to keep the jewelry cost to between $100 to $150, just as a guideline, and it would be great if we could find a painting we liked for $500 or so. I'm not sure if these are realistic numbers, so any comments on this would also be welcome.)
We both also like crafts. Are there any craft markets in Jerusalem? (I collect glass paperweights, but so far as I know there aren't any paperweight makers in Israel; I'd love to be proved wrong, though.)
All advice and comments are gratefully appreciated. If you want to enlarge the scope of my questions (say, to suggest other types of souvenirs), feel free to do so.
Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM
africnow

The Hutzot Hayotzer Jerusalem's crafts fair is in August.

In Jerusalem if you just walk up the pedestialn mall - Ben Yehuda - there are many small shops that are owned by the same people. They make silver and Eilat stone jewelry and other items. I bought a couple of really nice dry perfume holders as a guest gift for friends in England. They were warmly welcomed.

You might also want to drop into the crafts shop at the Israel Museum, although the prices there are a good deal higher.

The Bezalel Art Academy sometimes has shows and sales (at the Hebrew Univ., Mt. Scopus campus).

For other types of crafts (ceramics, textiles etc.) try the pedestrian mall on Yoel Salomon street next door to Ben Yehuda.

Old May 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Hi, MacThespian...

You can look forward to a wonderful trip.

I just returned and did a lot of "research" on the jewelry situation in Jerusalem.

First of all,....Africnow has given you good advice about the crafts.

As far as jewelry....On Ben Yehuda Street you will find one jewelry store after another. I don't know what your tolerance is for shopping....but let me warn you that when you think you've found something you love, you're likely to find something you love even more in the next store...and at HALF the price.

If you have the time and the determination, I would recommend looking through the various stores and pricing things BEFORE you buy anything.

I think you should have no trouble finding many beautiful things in your price range...provided you are NOT looking for gold and diamonds.

There is a lot of what I would call Israeli "art jewelry" available in that price range by many talented designers such as Laly Cohen, Michal Negrin, Adaya, and Ayala Bar. They use beautiful colored beads and stones....although I don't recall seeing many items made with Eilat stone in those stores. Most items are one- of-a-kind in vivid colors and unique designs. They are bound to be conversation pieces.

I can also tell you that you will be amazed at the selection of interesting and unusual mezuzot. (Plural of mezuzahs...I'm not sure I spelled it correctly.) You will want to buy them all.

Have fun and I wish you successful shopping.
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:42 PM

You will have a wonderful time in Israel. I was just there for the first time and there are MANY shops to make purchases. One that was very nice in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem was called Nicole -- you should be able to find it. Prices were very fair. If you are in Jerusalem on Friday evening, go to the Wall at sunset -- amazing sight. And go one night after dark. It is a beautiful setting at night.

Bonnie
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the responses. There's a lot of detail in them, which will really help (the last time I was in Israel was 1978, and I strongly suspect that things have changed a lot since then).
Unfortunately or fortunately, I have a high tolerance for shopping, so I guess I'll be following the advice to check out all the stores before I buy anything. It's good advice, though, and I appreciate it.
If anyone else has suggestions, of course, I'll keep checking in here.
Thanks again!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:23 AM

For paintings---I love the Blue and White Gallery in the Cardo area. Ask for Udi. This is a family owned gallery and they are delightful folks to work with and the art there "speaks" to me. And, if you do go............Tell Udi that Kathy Walters from Indiana sent you! *smile* I saw him in March and will do so again in September, hopefully.

ENJOY!

Kathy

Paragon, Indiana, USA
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, Kathy. I've printed it out to take along with me.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'm back from my trip, and have to report I did some serious damage to my bank account. I really appreciate everyone's advice; it helped me tune my searching. I got a silver and eilat-stone necklace (with matching earrings) for my wife--a bit more than I had planned to spend, but they're beautiful, a nice micro-calligraphic print, and an original oil painting (plus assorted other, smaller things). Thanks again!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:53 AM
africnow

Glad you had a good visit!

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Congratulations on your successful shopping. Your bank account will recover and you will have lovely mementos of your trip.