Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

SFOv- JRO, safer/better to go via Atlanta in Feb than MN ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,
Since some of you have travelled so many times on this route, would you recommend going via ATL instead of Minneapolis in Feb (KLM or NWA) ? I wouldn't want a flight to be cancelled due to snow etc....

Does this sound logical ?

Thx !!!
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From SFO I have flown straight to AMS and then to JRO--that's not an option for you? If not, I'd go for Atlanta in February for the reason you have named. Is there now a flight from ATL to JRO?
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM

I don't think the SFO-AMS nonstop gets in early enough to connect to JRO. LAX has the same issue requiring a double connect. I'd go for ATL too.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM

I've been through Minneapolis and Seattle in Feb. Both were fine. Remember Minneapolis knows snow. I do like the nonstop from AMS coming home to SFO though.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM

No doubt that MSP knows snow, and even though international flight seem to get priority for take off, there can be delays.

I'd go thru ATL to AMS.

Be sure you have at least 1.5-2/hrs connect time in AMS. If on time you won't need this - AMS is a very easy airport to navigate - but even AMS can have bad weather in Feb.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

You guys are toooooooo good, thanks for the confirmation...ATL it is ! Thx for the other tips, folks...will remember/use those.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:12 AM

It's not exactly a slam-dunk one way or the other.

ATL is notorious for delays. Over any 30-day period, you <i>will</i> have more delays going through ATL than through MSP. Also, flying through ATL is a lot longer -- about 800 miles longer in each direction, which translates into 90-100 extra minutes each way stuffed into your seat.

MSP might know how to handle snow, but a snow delay could be much, much longer than a traffic delay. That said, if you're starting from another city, it's much less likely that you'd get stuck in MSP: it's way more likely that your incoming flight would get canceled out of SFO.

[If it were me, I'd opt for the MSP connection, if MSP or ATL were my only 2 choices. I'd also be monitoring closely the wx forecasts for MSP, and if it looked like delays were probable, I'd get in touch with DL/NW and try to switch to ATL.]
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thx !!! How about SFO- Seattle?
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 02:26 PM

SEA looks great, KLM straight thru.
Price is pretty good for February.
Too many choices
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Just got news that the SEATTLE flight also makes a stop at MIN on its way to AMSTERDAM ?? Even the flight from SFO--Portland go via MIN ?

I am beinn recommended Detroit....anyone with experience about Detroit in Jan End/ Early feb?

Am totally confused what route to fly .

Thx !!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM

I don't know which flights you're looking at but there's a SEA-AMS nonstop operated by Northwest. There's also a 4x weekly PDX-AMS nonstop. That said I wouldn't necessarily count on these nonstops from secondary/non-hub cities operating as scheduled especially booking far in advance.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:10 AM

The SFO to Seattle then non-stop to AMS is very nice. I've taken it myself with no problems. I will just say that there was a freek snow storm in Seattle about 3 years ago in Feb. that grounded everything. That is why I like to add a slow day on the front of my safari when traveling in winter.

This year (2/09)our non stop from AMS to SFO was cancelled because they didn't have a plane. We ended up going through MSP. It just added a lot more travel time.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Are $1800 - $2000 the usual prices for this trip? Thx!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM

For the KLM flight into JRO, yes. Routing through Nairobi or Addis, you can sometimes find cheaper flights.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM

From SFO, yup! That's about it into JRO on KLM.

Flights into NBO are usually less, as more carriers fly here. You can then do a road transfer on Shuttle Bus, twice daily departures 8am & 2pm, drive-time about 6/hrs @ $30 each way, to Arusha. Or flight to JRO, 50/min, cost about $270 each way.

When comparing prices - SFO/NBO or SFO/JRO (via AMS) take into consideration that flight to/from NBO/JRO/NBO. Often the price into JRO works out better.

Unfortunately, KLM is the only airline from Europe direct into JRO. Ethiopian Air, believe out of IAD (Dulles, outside Wash DC) flies via Addis and then to JRO. Or from somewhere in Europe (maybe Rome).
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thx, wildlifepainter, Patty, Sandi ! I think I will directly fly into JRO, as it is..time is short.

Btw, wildlifepainter, did you ever have an issue with carry-on baggage weight going SFO-SEA-AMS ? I don't see any cabin baggage weight restriction (besides the 45 inch size thing)...on united, NWA... hmmm.
Am trying not to check any baggage..and travel light.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM

KLM hand baggage rules http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/trav...gage/index.htm
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Kenny, we took only carry-on and we were in steerage. We had no problems but our bags were probably within size limits. In Seattle they were asking some passengers to jam their bags in the sizer though and we did line up behind people with larger bags (they were not weighing any bags at the gate). We each took one duffle type bag and a larger camera backpack. All bags weighted about 18 to 20 lbs each. They were weighing some bags at the gate when boarding the JRO flight in AMS so we just acted as if ours were light.