Serengeti

Oct 1st, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Serengeti

We recently visited south africa and now want to visit east africa. Would appreciate some advice on what the differences are.

Thanks
Miriam
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:12 AM
santharamhari

Miriam,

From the title of your post, it seems like you want to go to the Serengeti? It is a huge park and the area of the park you visit, depends on the time of the year you would like to travel.

Just type in Serengeti in the search box and you will come up with heaps of useful info.

As to the differences between East and South....Which part of South Africa have u just visited? We can perhaps give you a better answer.....

Hari

Oct 1st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Hari, you are most helpful.

We went to Londolizi and Phinda.
Had wonderful sightings and great guides.
We had Renias Mhlongo in Londo .

I am planning now to go to Tanzania and Kenya next year - hopefully.
Will leave around August 17 or so.
Want to spend a couple of days at the Crater probably Serena.
Then thought would spend 4 days in Kichwa Tented and two days with either Kleins or Tanzania under Canvas. Since we dont need to see the big five etc... our main thrust will be to witness the migration.
We are three of us and neither Kitchwa nor Kleins has a single supplement. Daughter is 21. Ngoro serena has a triple.

Thanks for your help
Miriam

Miriam
Oct 1st, 2006, 12:35 PM

Miriam,

I'd love to read a report on your recent trip.

If your goal is to see the migration, you probably want more time in the Maasai Mara for the latter part of August. A couple of days in the Serengeti in a tented camp would be a nice experience too.

How many days do you have in total?

You all must have caught the Africa bug!
Oct 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM
bat

emdee:

Have you seen the East Africa Trip Index? It will direct you to trip reports--you can look for those for your time of year and/or the accomodations you are considering (although no one has yet reported about Tanzania under Canvas I do not believe). Here is the link.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34860283
Oct 1st, 2006, 01:10 PM
sandi

Another two-cents. In August you should concentrate on the Masai Mara.

Of course, you can visit in Tanzania, i.e., Tarangire and the Ngorongoro Crater, but to head to the Serengeti, let alone Klein's camp is a long way to go. In fact, I rarely even include the Serengeti in itineraries for clients during August. Too much happening in Kenya during that time.

And while Kichwa Tembo is a nice camp and a CCA prop w/o the single supplement for your adult daughter; compared to the camps you visited in South Africa, there are much nicer camps you can consider.

As Eben "climbhigh...." mentioned in another thread, Kichwa Tembo mostly caters to groups, and unless you pay the daily supplement for a private vehicle (approx $300+/day), you'll find more attention at a smaller camp.

There's Olonana and Serian in the same vicinity, as well, Governor's Il Moran, even Little Governor's. On the other side of the Mara River is Naibor, Explorer and Rekero. All small lux camps, providing personal attention. And for something really "special" there is Shompole... not in the Mara, but a great way to top off a safari by "saving the best for last."

How long are you planning to be in East Africa and where do you hope to visit during that time.

Oct 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi, we are planning a total trip Toronto to Toronto of about 15 days. Hope to visit Dubai for about 3 of those 15. About three days flying so thats 8 days safari and a night in Nairobi - maybe two nights.

I would like to go to the Crater. Do you know if I can get a morning flight out of Nairobi which will get me there early enough to do Olduvai Gorge with the next day at Ngoro Serena ( 2 nights).

Then, I wanted four nights to see the migration either Kichwa tented or Little Governors( or open to suggestions) And maybe two days in the Serengeti.

I shall research your suggestions.
Many thanks
Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:54 AM
santharamhari

Sandi,

Isnt Rekero a very good location, in terms of different areas to access inside the park?

How would you compare the immediate Rekero game drive areas vs Governor's/kitchwa side.

Thanks
Hari

Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:00 AM
sandi

emdee -

That's a rushed trip, but if that's what you've got, that's what you've got.

If arriving from DBX into NBO, early to catch flight to JRO for an overnight in Arusha, you can make it to the Crater next morning. The drive is 5-6/hrs allowing for afternoon game drive in crater. If you choose to fly, the flight lands at Lake Manyara from where you need a 2.5/hr road transfer to the Crater... I'd drive, as the road is blacktop till actually at the Ngorongoro Conservation area.

Next morning you can do another crater tour (or not), drive via Olduvia (w/stop) and continue to Serengeti Serena for remainder of that day and next. The following morning, you'd fly to Arusha where you can connect to flight to Wilson (domestic) in NBO and connect to Masai Mara for your remaining time - 3 or 4/days, then fly to NBO for remainder of day with some touring or depending on time of your homebound flight depart.

Day 1 - Arv from DBX to JKIA/NBO; connect to Precision flight to JRO; transfer to hotel in Arusha - Arusha Coffee Lodge
Day 2 - Early drive to Ngorongoro; afternoon crater tour - o/n Serena
Day 3 - Morning crater tour; drive via Oldupai (w/stop); continue to Serengeti - o/n Serena
Day 4 - Serengeti - o/n Serena
Day 5 - Fly to Arusha; connect 1:45pm to flight to Wilson/NBO; connect to 3pm flight to Masai Mara - o/n
Day 6 - MM
Day 7 - MM
Day 8 - Fly 11am to Wilson/NBO - depending on return flight time may o/n in NBO (House of Waine); or transfer to airport for return flight to DBX.

If time allows you can add a day in the Mara.

Hari -

Rekero has a good location on the east side of the Mara. I find game viewing excellent regardless which side of the Mara. I believe the camps listed above will all provide excellent opportunities and areas (small and intimate with excellent service)... especially in August when there is game everywhere. Comparisons at this time is difficult, besides I never compare as every visit has been different depending on time of year, camp stayed, weather - to me, the Mara is always good.

Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandi. I have been working with cc africa but for some reason the trip isnt coming together.
Do you have any suggestions as to whom I should work with?

I think we will stay at Little Governors but I liked the look of Olanana too.

Many thanks again
Miriam
Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:16 AM
santharamhari

Ok, Sandi....Thanks

Hari

Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:31 AM

I know Sandi cannot answer this, but when I was looking, I had my choices narrowed down to Sandi's outfit, Africa Serendipity and Good Earth. She can be found at http://www.africaserendipity.com/ and Good Earth at www.goodearthtours.com

I'm sure there are many other good outfits out there, just relating my experience.

enjoy,
Duane
Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:20 AM

I also recommend you contact African Serendipity. You might also want to contact Southern Cross (our operator) and Eastern and Southern.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience with GO2Africa?
They have offered me a pretty good deal.
Miriam
Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM

when we shopped around for our Kenya trip, go2africa was substantially higher than the tour operators I listed above.

Kevin from California