Lilipets & tour operator

Sep 30th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Lilipets & tour operator

I posted a message regarding Creative Safaris in IL. back in May as I have booked a safari with them. Lilipets, you were kind to respond and were going on your tour in August. We you happy with Creative Safaris and what they organized for you? I am having some trouble getting timely responses and am starting to worry. TA advised me not to worry about booking the elephant safari too far in advance and now it is sold out. I asked her to look for an alternative and have not heard from her in three weeks. Any insights appreciated. For othters on the board, it this normal or should I be concerned?
Sep 30th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about the spelling errors in the above post. I forgot to proofread.
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Lrob,
I usually got pretty quick responses to my e mails but I usually just called them direct with my questions.
I know the owner of the company is(was) a husband and wife. The husband died very unexpectedly so that may be part of the problem. My itinerary was pretty simple also - a 10 day mobile with Game Trails with one overnite prior in Joburg.
I wasn't overly impressed with their services-nothing really bad,but I guess I got spoiled by the treatment I got from Africa Adventure Company on my first safari in 2003. Sara(who is no longer with them) handled my arrangements and my millions of naive questions with enthusiasm and good humor. I even had a welcome home card from them waiting for me when I arrived home from my 2003 safari.When I began researching my trip for 2006 I dealt directly with the owner of Africa Adventure, Allison, and I was not nearly as satisfied. I had the same problem you are having; she took forever to get back to me and by the time she did, things(in my price range) were full. She wasn't very open to my budget limitations either. Carol at Creative Safaris was very understanding of our limited budgets and she was the one who steered us to Game Trails.
I would be nervous too if I didn't hear anything for 3 weeks! Have you tried calling? That's what I would do!
Good luck!
Lily
Oct 1st, 2006, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the response. I will call them and I appreciate your insights. Glad you had a good trip.
Oct 1st, 2006, 04:14 AM

Hi Lily,
When did Sara leave AA? This is a great loss to them, as she was also the person who smoothed the edges that Allison had left me with. It would be interesting to know where she's gone.
Sherry
Oct 1st, 2006, 04:27 AM

cybor,

Boy am glad to hear that Allison got on someone else's nerves! I thought it was just me! I don't know where Sara went. I was just told she wasn't there anymore. She was really wonderful! She made the planning and anticipation so much more fun!
On my trip in 2003 our guide got into trouble because he tried to get my friend some tanzanite from someone he knew. The whole complicated endeavor failed miserably with my friend not getting any tanzanite, the guide getting into trouble for trying and Allison calling my friend and "scolding" her about the mess she'd made!
I don't know if I was assigned to Allison because I was a repeat customer or because she thought I might be a trouble maker!
What was your experience with her?

Lily
Oct 1st, 2006, 05:44 AM

I got a scolding or 2 as well. In her defense, I will say that when I asked why she felt it was ok to "scold" (my exact term) she did apologize. I've heard other things as well, which I won't go into here for obvious reasons. In the end, however, I will also say that my trip was flawless and amends were made in my favor - with a wee bit of prodding from my end.
Sherry
Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM

This is intresting what you are saying about Africa Adventure. I want some more information. I will start a new thread that more people might see.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:11 PM

Lrob: delays of that length are not typical and personally I would not tolerate it. Very sorry you missed out on an activity!

TA's should be working for the customer, there are many good ones and much competition so it is reasonable to expect timely service as well as good courtesy in the case of these 'scolding' stories. Personally I would find someone who shares the enthusiasm for trip planning that you feel as an Africa traveller and demonstrates excellent knowledge which can be double checked here to be sure they are giving good itinerary advice.