Seregeti in April

Jan 21st, 2009, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Seregeti in April

will be on Safari in Serengeti in April and would like to hear of anyone's experiences there during the long rains
Jan 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM

We were there April 1-10 2006 ... lot of rain, LOT of bugs, lot of animals, not many tourists.

Some areas were off-limits because of road closures but in general it was OK.
Jan 21st, 2009, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

were they the biting kind of bugs?
did insect repellent to the trick?
would you recommend a bug jacket?
were the bugs in your accomodations as well?
We will still be going but best to be prepared!
Jan 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM

were they the biting kind of bugs?

There were tsetse flies in two places, but localized to these specific areas in the woodlands, not on the plains. They are vicious biters and it's really uncomfortable when you are in a swarm of tsetses.

Millions of common flies, especially around the animals, but they don't bite and were just a nuisance.

Didn't see any mosquitos.

did insect repellent to the trick?

For the most part yes ... a couple of tsetse bites on the webbing on my hands where I had no repellent, and the flies would still hover, but the repellent kept most bugs from landing.

would you recommend a bug jacket?

We were photographing so didn't want to wear a hood net etc but there were a couple of times where this would come in handy. If you have a hood might as well bring it but it's not really necessary.

were the bugs in your accomodations as well?

Some but not too bad. But for sure you appreciate the bed netting.

One night it really stormed hard, with torrential rains, and this triggered a hatch of flying termites. They were attracted by the light in the room and started pouring in (Serena Serengeti), first a couple, then dozens, then hundreds swarming in like a scene from a horror movie. We found were they were coming from, gaps in the door frame, so plugged it with towels and killed all the termites but it was a hassle

We will still be going but best to be prepared!

It is a different experience than in the dry season but you'll find it interesting!

Jan 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM

Wasn't there for long rains, but was there last November when it rained very hard, especially at night. Ran into lots of tsetse flies which bit right through clothes. But using repellant (definitely a must have) on the clothes worked. Lots of other flies too, but they were more a nuisance (lots of waving at them) than a biting problem. I stayed in a 'luxury' tent, so at night camp staff would put coils by the zippered door---no problems in the accommodations.

Good luck!
Jan 21st, 2009, 10:06 AM

despite especially in east africa companies don't get tired to advertise their "100% insect proof tents" i would definately bring a travel mosquito net with me. it's light/small and has all kinds of tools in the bag. just add (if it's not already provided with the net)an additional roll of cord, a big snap hook and a safety pin. maybe you have to shift the bedding slightly depending on the tent roof in order to get the net on top of it.

it also helps to prevent scorpions (which come out after the rains!) from falling off the roof onto the bed ;-)

for me it's a life saver

happy planning!

div

ah ja - that time of year you will see lots of newborn which is particularly pleasant!
Jan 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM

one more thing regarding tsetse flies:
you won't "hear" them. and they use to crawl into your trouser legs, sleeves and collar.
roll your socks over your trouser legs, roll down your sleeves and shut firmly and wear some shirt or blouse which closes firmly.
despite i did all that i still have these marks where they bite me last nov!
their nasty bite means these impacts last for a long time! and when you kill it it causes a huge bloodstain.

just go to wikipedia and have a look how they look like in order for you to know what to fight ;-)

div
Jan 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM

http://tinyurl.com/8r5wd3

div
Jan 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM

I'm going to the Serengeti in early April, rain, hail or shine, and at the moment I'd be happy with snow!It's sooooooo damn hot in Oz.
I'm hoping the weather there is as unpredictable as it is here in Australia.
My brother was there in Feb and the rain was awesome, luck of the draw I guess.