Seeking hotel recommendations in Morocco

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM
tai
Original Poster

Seeking hotel recommendations in Morocco

Hi, I'll be in Morocco for a week in December, going to Casablanca, Marrakesh, and Fez. Were there any hotels in those cities that you recommend?

Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Yes, there are many hotels in those cities - but no one can recommend one unless they know where you want to stay (in the medina or in the Ville Nouvelle), your budget, your requirements (amenities you would like to have, etc). Pls provide more info.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 11:38 AM

It'll be my first trip to Morocco so I'd like to see all of the must-see sights. Historic and cultural sites interest me most. I'd like to spend less then $100 USD per night, and prefer a relatively quiet place away from a bustling street or tourist area, though I will have earplugs. I'd also prefer a private bath and a room on the second story or higher. Something with a view would be lovely.

Am I asking too much?
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM

It's been some years since I was in Morocco, but my hotel in Fez, Les Merinides, was one of the most memorable places I've stayed. I don't know what it's like now or what it costs, but you might want to check the website.
It's on a hill overlooking the medina with wonderful views of the countryside and the old town. The service was outstanding and rooms were tastefully furnished in Moroccan style decor. I'd love to go back there.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM

I have to strongly disagree with the recommendation for the Merinides (Le Meridien). It is possible that at the time, it was lovely, but today it is nothing more than a charmless chain hotel with overpriced chintzy rooms and snippy service.

If you go to Fez, please stay in the medina - that's what Fez is all about. Try a google search for "fez riad with panoramic view" or "roof terrace" - it should bring up several possibilities.

You can definitely find things in your budget that fit your requirements.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:27 PM

As I said, I don't know what it's like now, which is why I suggested a look at the website.
Sorry to hear that it has changed so much.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Any recommendations for Marrakesh and Casablanca?
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM

Is December a really busy month for Morocco? www.tripadvisor.com lists only a handful of hotels under $200 for December 9-18. Are there other sites that have a good list of hotels in Morocco?

-worried
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM

Try www.-_escape.com and Alastair Sawday's Special Places to Stay (google and it will pull up the website.

December is a busy month, but TripAdvisor is not the end all be all. Its always better to contact the hotels and riads directly - you'll get much better rates.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:00 AM

When we were in Marrakesh we stayed at Dar Les Cigognes in the medina. It was a LOVELY riad, with wonderful service. Don't know if they have room over Christmas, but try www.lescigognes.com or [email protected] Good luck...
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:23 AM

I wouldn't book through tripadvisor - infact I didn't know you could - but the reviews posted there can certainly help alert travellers to problems that are not obvious on a website - for example, uncomfortable beds, poor service, poor food, noisy or poor location and so on.

Personal recommendations or recommendations in unsponsored travel articles are always great but I found that all the ones I'd squirrelled away in this manner were already full for my December dates.

Instead of just randomly searching for alternatives - could have lucked out but could also have landed on my arse - I next started searching for the websites of places that had received consistently good feedback on tripadvisor.

Still dealt with the places direct and negotiated and booked directly, but felt somewhat reassured that the feedback I had been able to find was positive.