Search

Sandstorms in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandstorms in Egypt

Does anyone know whether high winds and related sandstorms regularly occur in Egypt during the entire month of March or just toward the end of March and in April and May? I have found very little in the guide books on this topic. We would like to visit Egypt
within the next few months and I think that it is pretty late for booking a trip in February.
I need to be at home on February 26, 2010 so my travel would have to be the first two weeks of March or the sometime during the first three weeks of February. I will be contacting a couple travel planners this week about making arrangements, but would rather get advice about the sand storms from a disinterested party.

Pat
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM

I have just booked a trip to Egypt leaving in a week and a half at the start of November-so it can be done.And this is for their high season. You can do it.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM

We were in Cairo the first week in March, 2009 and experienced a horrible sandstorm for several days. I had taken surgical masks that I bought at a medical supply company and was very happy to have them.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 03:27 AM

Sandstorms are rather unpredictable. Yes, they generally occur in March/April, but that doesn't mean that Cairo or Luxor or Sharm or wherever will definitely be hit by one during that time. Generally, they are short-lasting (like a thunderstorm) but sometimes they are more extensive like the one JaneB described.

I never used surgical masks - but then I could retreat to my own apartment. For me, a scarf that I could wrap around my face (ugh.....sand and grit in the mouth, yuck!) was really all I needed if I had to be out.

I wouldn't let the threat of a sandstorm be a deciding factor for your trip. Just be prepared.