Sandi - help Tanzania Safari June 2006

Reply

Feb 9th, 2006, 11:26 AM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36
Sandi - help Tanzania Safari June 2006

Hi there Sandi,

I'm off on my honeymoon on June 18th landing in Arusha on the 19th June and because of paying for the wedding I have held back on my Honeymoon plans. Can you advise which lodges might still have availability to go to Nngorongoro, Lake Manyara and the Serengeti.
I cant beleive time has gone so fast.

If anyone else has any advice pls do join in.

Many thanks Chris
chrisamg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM
  #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,222
Hi, Chris. Until Sandi checks in, why don't you give an idea of your budget and the length of your honeymoon. Also any ideas/hopes/dreams about accommodations that you have and where you'd be willing to compromise.

Congratulations on the wedding!

p.s. We--just three spinsters --will arrive in Arusha the day before you. You'll love Tanzania.
Leely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 9th, 2006, 02:02 PM
  #3
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36
Thanks Leely,

9 days-arrive 19th June arusha
budget -around $US 4000 per person
Musts Nngorongoro, Western and Central Serengeti.
I would love to spend two days or so luxury private camping mixed with soem lodges.
The migration would be a big plus, but mainly seeing more of Africa is what is important.
Thanks
chrisamg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 9th, 2006, 02:28 PM
  #4
sandi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Chris -

Your earlier posts indicated that you were working with Roy's. I'd contact them again and check to see what is still available.

Last I heard, there is no space at Kirawira, but there may be space at Mbalageti (another lux camp). At the Crater, space is limited, if any, at Serena or Sopa; actually had someone have to stay at Plantation Lodge. There was no space at Gibbs Farm, even the Ngorongoro Farm House. Forget about Crater Lodge... unless someone dies, don't see any cancellations here. There may be space at some of the seasonal camps in the Serengeti - Nomads, Olakira, etc.; Mbuzi Mawe seems to be fully booked for months.

At this point you may just have to go with where space is available. Though you may want to consider semi-lux camping... not necessarily all that romantic for a honeymoon, but it's just the two of you, your guide/driver and cook. As Leely, can attest they take great care of you.

For lux camping in the Serengeti, you may ask about the new CCA camp opening here. Julian posted a recent thread about the new camp scheduled to open in April or May. Don't have the link, but it was something like: "CCA opening lux camp in the Serengeti" - scroll down this page and the next few for more details. But I'd expect you'll pay premium for this.

All will depend on your exact dates... space may be available, but the routing (order in which you visit each place) may not be ideal.

Whatever you do, you cannot wait any longer.
 
Reply With Quote
Feb 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM
  #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 108
hi, I still haven't received any confirmation of my tour operator.. it's been 2 weeks now since I told her she could start making confirmations with the lodges. and I already sent 2 emails asking how the bookings are going. so, yesterday, I received an email from another operator I hadn't cancelled yet (all the other offers I did cancel, but I just had this funny feeling to keep a back-up plan) asking me to decide quickly as things are getting booked. So I got two questions:
1) what would you do ?
2) does every tour operator have a number of rooms already 'reserved' with the different lodges and which they have to confirm later ? because during our discussions, my touroperator asked me not to take another itinary (I wanted to switch 2 dates) because otherwise there would be problems having the lodges booked

HELP, even more nervous than I was...
janischa28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 10th, 2006, 01:44 AM
  #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 108
okay, i just received an email from my operator. a number of rooms have been confirmed, but the two most important lodges are on waiting list. what does this mean ? that all is fully booked, and it will depend if somebody annulates their room, to have one ?
janischa28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 10th, 2006, 04:12 AM
  #7
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,354
It means the lodges are holding rooms for other companies and none is available at this time.

This is common in Tanzania. Rooms will start to clear about 60 days out when the large group tour companies cancel some of thir rooms due to lack of bookings. But there are no guarantees.

Waiting lists are unreliable. The only true way to secure a cleared room during busy periods is to show up in person at the booking office with a voucher in hand - and with luck you will be at the right place at the right time!

Smart outfitters visit the offices every day when they have to secure rooms - if they don't, the rooms will go to someone else!
climbhighsleeplow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 10th, 2006, 04:18 AM
  #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 108
thanks !! do you know which tour operators are the ones using block bookings, so they can confirm immediately (or nearly immediately) ? what would you do if you were in my shoes ? i really need good advice.. and i find it really important to get one of the lodges on the rim of the crater.. preferably the wildlife lodge
janischa28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:17 PM.