Search

Safety in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in Egypt

Hi:
We are scheduled to spend 10 days in Egypt from February 7-17. In light of the recent bombing of a tourist bus near Giza I am wondering what the security situation is there, specifically hotel security and security for boats plying the Nile. I know it's a wild world out there and I live in New York City, bulls-eye for international terrorism, but I have faith that the NYPD is doing its' job. I would like to know if some trust can be put in the Egyptian government to weed out potential terror plots...
GEsssa
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 06:41 PM

During our visit to Egypt this past March, the security was extremely high and very noticeable. There were security barricades in front of our hotel and at every tourist attraction. Security was very high at the airport also. We went through two security checkpoints outside the airport and another two once inside the airport. Our driver told us that they never know which security checkpoint scenario they will encounter. Sometimes the security will ask everyone to leave the car and walk through a security building, other times they will open the trunk and open the luggage and other times they will search the car occupants etc. This 'mixing it up' scenario helps keep the terrorists on their toes.

We passed through a lower level of security while re-boarding our ship each each day: metal detectors. We felt safe, but I think having a guide that was known to the hotel and tourist attractions helped with the promptness with which we entered these sites. I have no idea what it would be like to pass through security on our own.

Enjoy your trip...Egypt is a beautiful country...rich in history.
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 07:27 PM

We just returned from 3 weeks in Egypt at the end of November. There was lots of security everywhere, airport, hotels, sites and on highways. I am sure there is probably more since the "incident". We were not concerned for our safety on any of our travels. We were in Cairo,Giza, Alexandria, Abu Simbel, Aswan, Luxor, 3 night cruise and loved every minute of it. The world is unstable and as you would know you can't predict when and where. Go enjoy!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply!
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 06:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Any more thoughts after the terrorist bombing in Cairo today?
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 10:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've just read an account of the bombing in The Guardian and have to assume that, unlike in years past, tourists were not the targets of the bomb. Somehow I doubt that any were outside the Cancer Institute at midnight. While terrible for those who were, and for Egyptians as a whole, if I had a another trip planned I wouldn't cancel. Any more than I'd avoid Walmart in the US for fear of being killed.