Assuring Friends its Safe...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help - everyone is freaking out with the mention of a trip to Egypt. What is the best argument that its safe? I was nervous too, but this travel board has helped!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 09:33 AM

Funny I keep getting the same question...going in Spetember. My mother is sure we're going to be bommed or kidnapped and killed. I just keep telling people if I die in Egypt then I'll be happy. At least I saw it since it's my dream vacation. But really I just keep telling it's fine and VERY safe.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 09:56 AM

My wife and I were in Egypt for 9 days in June (with three other Americans and several Egyptian friends). I was somewhat nervous before heading over there. I can honestly say that I never felt any concern for my safety while in Egypt. We were in Cairo four days and on a Nile cruise for four days. In Cairo, our group had an armed, gov.-appointed, security guard. There was a heavy security presence everywhere we went. It was explained to me that the security was there because Egypt simply can't afford for something to happen to hurt tourism. Their economy is heavily dependent on tourism and they don't want to take any chances. Of course, there is always the risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time when some nut decides to do something stupid. But that's a risk you face everywhere. Most people went out of there way to be friendly and helpful. The only thing that we found uncomfortable was a couple of merchants trying to be (what they thought was) American- telling dirty jokes, etc. We absolutely fell in love the place, I hope you do too.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:51 AM

I agree totally with g63bailey. My husband and I were in Egypt for 2 weeks in March and felt completely safe. We were in Cairo-Aswan-Nile Cruise-Luxor and Sharm and at no time felt threatened at all. You will see how heavily Egypt relies on tourism and that they are doing everything possible to keep the country safe.
Enjoy...you're going to absolutely love it!
Lori
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:35 AM
sandi

Nowadays it seems your have to assure everyone it's safe to travel anywhere.

So - if you are comfortable with your decision, then my advice would be "do not to tell anyone until you come home." Saves an awful lot of justifying your decision to others and they'll still think you've lost it!!

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

I have told a select few, I'm thinking keeping it under wraps is the best stadegy, people 2nd guess our decision, making me 2nd guess it. I'm excited and would love to share my excitment though.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:19 PM
sandi

Share your excitement after you've been excited. Wait till you return home and have something to tell and pictures to show them.

However, someone at home (family member or trusted friend) should definitely know where you are going, have a copy of your itinerary with contact numbers (to use only under penalty of death - in other words, don't call, FYI only), copies of the info page of your passports, credit card/s, ATM card.

Then you should be good to go! You're going to love Egypt.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sandi - I printed out all the safety topics for my husband to reassure him - It would be nice to stop hearing the news too ;-)
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
sandi

jeepsterchick - glad it worked. I know how difficult it is with the world the way it is these days, but we can no longer sit home and wait for something to happen somewhere. Life has to go on and Egypt is a wonderful place to enjoy life. If you'd like, send your email address to [email protected] and I'll send my Jordan & Egypt photos.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:59 PM
pdd

Jeepsterchick, I feel your pain. Now trying to explain to people I know why my Spring '05 tour of Iran is not sheer insanity . . .

Having gone down this road before ("But, what's wrong with just taking a trip to France or England?&quot, I've discovered that the best response is to just say "this is what I have always wanted to do."
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 09:41 AM

Rest assure everyone..........I'm an expat who's been and still living in Saudi Arabia for the past 14 years. Take my word; it's safe to travel to Egypt or Iran. Recently, I've traveled to Jordan, Iran, and Zambia for pleasure and can't wait to return. The people are lovely, but I personally would avoid traveling in large groups. I usually prefer to hire a private car with a driver to show me around....I just don't enjoy large tour buses. You're chances of getting mug in down town LA or NY is probably much hire than getting rob or kidnapped in the Middle East!!! With the exception in Iraq or Saudi Arabia!! You'll love Egypt been there 3 times!! And, twice to Iran.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:46 AM

I was in Egypt in April with a group of 7 total plus the guide and driver. What was amusing was that in Alexandria we were preceeded everywhere by a police car with flashing lights and four policeman in addition to our normal guard. They would wait while we visited each attraction. The day we left our hotel to return to Cairo they preceeded us to the town limits. We always joked we felt like we had a bullseye on our backs. I felt extremely safe in Egypt, moreso than many other countries I have visited. There is very little crime as far as I know and many tourist and regular police everywhere. It was one of the most fantastic trips I have ever taken.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM

We traveled to Egypt 6 months BEFORE 9/11 and friends were safety-paranoid even then. Try to put the worriers in perspective - are these people who vacation at the same lake for the same week every summer? I doubt they are people who like to travel to different places.

As far as guards, security, etc. Those who have described armed guards on tour bus, strong antiquity-police street presence since 9/11 are describing a situation very similar to what we experienced in April 2001. I think a lot of it is for show - to make tourists feel "safe". It took us almost a full week to realize that the un-introduced guy sitting behind the driver was our armed guard.

Our bus was bomb-sniffed with dogs and the underside checked with mirrors at the Aswan Dam - but at the time some activist from another country had made some comment in print about the impact of blowing up a dam.

The only realistic concerns I would have specific to travel to Egypt might be intestinal-health related, getting run over by an insane driver in Cairo, or possibly falling victim to some sales scam on the streets. Street crime is far less than in many US and European cities.

Forget about assuring friends it is safe - it is an argument you can not win. Just go and have a good time.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM

http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

If someone gets on your case about travel dangers, why not email them this nifty chart from the National Safety Council?
And if we were as nervous about driving as we should be, perhaps the roads would be safer too...
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Interesting... I wonder what the "odds" are for "dying in Egypt" are to compare - no doubt so low not even on the charts! - Good Point.
Thank you! Egypt here we come...At least I can share my excitement with this board. You understand! ;-)
Thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 05:38 AM

This is a great question, we are planning a trip for next year (always wanted to go, but everyone said it would be too dangerous!) We finally decided to just do it! I can't wait and have lots of questions for the board!

Jeepsterchick: I drive a 2003 Wrangler hardtop winter & soft (toppless as often as possible) summer and we have 2 C7s we've re-done.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Do you "do" tours Masrawy? Or do you mean a business customer?

We do not want to purchase a "package" or a cruise, we prefer to make arrangement ourselves. It's just part of my nature, I love to plan! I have read alot about hiring drivers and such in Egypt and so I'm looking into that a bit. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:14 AM

The only danger I experienced in Egypt was a very strong desire to not return home.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:55 AM

NCANAVAN ? that was classic. I hope that's my danger too!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Me too! Normally the case when I travel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -