Search

Safari Outfitters in Kenya

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari Outfitters in Kenya

In 2010 I would like to organize a 7-day safari in Kenya for 10-15 adults. I am looking for all kinds of advice about how to plan a fabulous trip. First, what safari outfitter do you recommend? Is 7-days adequate for a solid safari experience? If we start in Kenya, should we stay in Kenya, or venture further? What time of year is best?

I am looking for a well-organized safari, without a lot of frills. My crowd are campers & hikers, former Mt. Kilimanjaro climbers, etc. I want great service from really knowledgeable people, but I am not into the Ritz.

I am starting from scratch and wide open to your advice.

DS
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM

See this chart for best times for various locations.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

In 7 days you could do these

1 Aberdare/Mt Kenya
2 Samburu
1 Lake Nakuru
3 Maasai Mara

If you could spare more time, that would be good, but something like the above would be a nice safari with a good variety of locations for a good variety of wildlife. Cultural opportunities would also be available.

With 7 days, I definitely would not try to do more than one country.

Some possibile companies that have been used by people on this forum for Kenya, in no particular order:

Eastern & Southern Safaris (Kenya)
Africa Serendipity (NYC)
Africa Adventure (Ft. Lauderdale)
Micato (NYC)

You can look at the East Africa Index for a variety of companies and for trip reports that may be similar to what you'd like to do. It is maintained by LyndaS who is currently on safari in Kenya with a rather new company run by an experienced guide--Warrior Trails.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...port-index.cfm
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Use THIS index. It is the new and improved one with more entries.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...port-index.cfm
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM

With 7/days, only 1 country. Depending on when traveling, remember prices are seasonal with July-Sept hi-prices. But as a group you'd be splitting cost of vehicle/guide for a private road safari between locations mentioned above. Flights are always available, as budget allows.

Check the "atravelynn" links provided for additional information. And, if you haven't already, you might want to pick-up copy of 1st Edition of Fodor's Complete Safari Planner. Has good info.

"new and improved" Trip Report Index

...because LyndaS is so amazing. And, now that she'll be taking Sunday's for herself can only imagine what else she'll do for her Africaphile buddies! Thank you Lynda!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM

I agree that with 7 days you should spend the whole time in Kenya. We had 10 days in Kenya in September 2007, which was a good amount of time to visit a typical driving circuit around the country: Nairobi -- Mt. Kenya -- Samburu -- Sweetwaters -- Lake Nakuru -- Masai Mara (and then flew back to Nairobi for onward travel to Tanzania). With 7 days I would do the trip Lynn suggested above (similar to my itinerary, but without Sweetwaters).

Our trip was with Eastern & Southern Safaris, and I can recommend them very highly. (If you click on my name or look in Lynda's fabulous trip report index, you can find my trip report.) Our wonderful guide James has since passed away, but Serah is still there planning safaris, and I have no doubt she would do a great job for your group. Other people on this board have used her company for their trips, too, and have nothing but good things to say about E&S. Also, I appreciated that they were willing to book a variety of accommodations, and didn't just push the higher-end properties. Their website has sample prices, to give you an idea of cost, but you can design a custom trip.