2012 trip to Kenya

May 5th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

2012 trip to Kenya

Any suggestions for a tour operator? Group of 4. Don't need top-of-the-line, but want a fair amount of comfort! Also, which destinations should we include for a February trip?
May 5th, 2011, 06:52 PM

In February the migration would be in the Serengeti in Tanzania rather than in Kenya's Maasai Mara if that makes a difference to you.

With a group of 4 you'll do very well in planning a private trip.

Some companies that have been used with success for Kenya include:

Africa Serendipity in NYC
Eastern and Southern Safaris in Nairobi (I've used them 2x in Kenya)
The Africa Adventure Company in FL (I used them for my 1st trip to Kenya & Tanz and other trips)
Sunworld Safaris in Nairobi (Twaffle has a current report with lots of prices)

There are a lot of companies. You can look at KATO's site.
http://www.katokenya.org/katomembers.asp

Consider including these Kenya destinations:

Full day in Nairobi for Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Center, National Museum, Nairobi National Park, Sheldrick's Elephant Haven, and more.

Samburu
Mt. Kenya
Aberdare
Lake Nakuru
Maasai Mara
May 7th, 2011, 02:03 AM

My family of five we have returned from our 4days safari tsavo ost,tsavo west and ambosseli and we saw lots of animals four of the big five and also Mt.Kilimajaro and only a family private safari we had all the comfort and all the time we needed to watch the animals.Aktive safaris www.aktivesafaris.com had arranged everything for us and our safari was wonderful
May 7th, 2011, 03:27 AM

I have used Africa Serendipity (www.africaserendipity.com) in the past, and I've been very pleased with their services. If you weren't aware, that company is run by sandi, who posts knowledgeably in these forums.
May 7th, 2011, 08:07 PM

I also used "sandi" at Africa Serendipity for my Kenya safari that I'm just about to go on. She is amazingly well organized, very thorough and prompt with replies.
May 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Hello, travellers: It has been quite awhile since I posted. Good to see travelynn still on.
I am thinking of going on a birding trip to Ghana. In the past I've been to Kenya, Tanzania, and southern Africa. This is really a new place for me. I am looking at using someone from BirdingPals, and flying over independently of a tour.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, for me? I am a bit concerned that I am an American in light of recent events. I know nothing about Ghana, either. As always, I am open to anything anyone can offer.
Thanks.
May 8th, 2011, 08:52 PM

You might want to look into Classic Expeditions. The founder used to be with Park East, which was subsumed into a larger travel company. She organized my trips to Kenya and Tanzania and I was really pleased with everything. She went out on her own and I receive their online info periodically. They have great trips. OAT does too. I think that stands for Overland Adventure Travel.
May 9th, 2011, 07:08 AM

Hi birder, a birding trip to Ghana would be exciting. I think your question can be best answered in a new post, labeled Ghana.