Search

Safari Laundry

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari Laundry

What is the deal with laundry? We are staying at mainly nice permanent tented camps in Kenya and TZ. The longest we stay anyplace is two nights. Do you turn in your laundry in AM and it is done in the PM? What about underwear? I understand that it is not always done for cultural reasons. I want to pack light so laundry logistics is important. Thanks.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Read your other thread with your finalized itinerary. Suggest you keep all relative questions, as this (others), together so we can responde, track your progress - most importantly that you have everything in one place.

Your agent should clarify in "included in price" or "excluded....." whether laundry is included or you pay a small fee.

Best to hand in laundry in the morning anywhere you're staying 2/nts. It should be returned that evening or next morning. With few exceptions laundry is line dried, so hope there is no rain.

As to ladies "smalls" (wears), most places will not do these, but some do. Either have enough for your trip or bring some suds to rinse out in the evenings.

From the itinerary, I believe that Tree Lodge, Crater Lodge and Migration Camps do include in the price, but verify with your TO.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 08:51 AM

In September we had laundry done at Serena Ngorongoro Lodge, Migration Camp and Mara Simba Lodge. The laundry needed to be in by 8 or 9 AM and it was returned that evening. The laundry card states it will be returned in 24 hours but ours was done the same day. At these lodges/camps they all did Ladies underwear.

Bob
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM

I was doing my laundry at a camp in Kruger one day, and having a conversation with a woman from Johannesburg who said that there is a fly that lays eggs on the clothes hanging on the line and if you don't iron the clothes or put them in the dryer (heat kills the eggs) they will hatch and get into your skin. I heard this before, but wondered if it's true?
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:02 AM

I'd also read about the fly/laundry thing in a few books...just looked it up online it does appear to be true:

http://goafrica.about.com/od/healtha...t/putzifly.htm
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM

The laundry we had done appeared to be pressed.

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:09 AM

I've encounters places that said no underwear period - women's or men's.

Dennis & cruisinred,
Eeewwwww! Better add vaseline to the packing list
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM

True. The fly is also known as Putzi Fly, Tumbu Fly or Cordylobia anthrophaga can be found in Ethiopia, Central Africa, East Africa and parts of South Africa. (Hey, it’s in Mexico and S. America too) Not only can it lay eggs on laundry hung out to dry, but you can possibly pick it up by sitting on the ground too.

One of the main reasons I wear cotton on safari - it can take a hot iron (grin).
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:41 AM

First I've heard! I 2nd that Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Guess there's another reason momma told me not to sit anywhere...........

why, instinctively, I've never had laundry done.

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, iboden,

here's what I did when unsure about whether undies would be washed - I brought with me some old pairs that I then chucked away!

they weigh so little anyway, but it made room for things I'd bought on my travels.

just make sure you've got enough pairs for the whole trip, or it could get tricky. think Paris H.

regards, ann