Search

Rain in Tarangire

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain in Tarangire

Hi
I just received an email from my TA who has told me the rains in Arusha and Tarangire are especialy heavy with some of the lodges being closed down and I am to be ready for a wet trip
he mentioned Tarangire Treetops and Kikoti as some of the lodges closed
I am staying at Boundary Hill Lodge
does anybody have reason why two would be closed and one still open when all lodges are in the same area outside the park
thanks david
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 06:06 PM

David when are you going to be there?
J
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Jules Hi
I am going at the end of Jan
and have asked Eastco for more info which when I get I will put it on the board
thanks david
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:57 PM
aby

Hi David
at the end of Jan' climate should be different, it would be more than surprising if those lodges will not be open....
i don't know these lodges but maybe the "hill" (Boundary Hill Lodge) is the key - high ground less affected by 'floods' ??
aby
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 03:17 AM

David,

I was at Tarangire Treetops last late February...let me tell you, even though the lodge was very beautiful, it just was not worth the visit from a gameviewing perspective...even on roads that were not soaked it required 75 minutes to reach the lodge to the park entrance and there was very little resident game around the lodge.

Boundary Hill Lodge was being built during my visit and it sits not more than about 10 minutes outside the entrance to the park.

If I were you I would consider switching to either Swala, Olivers Camp or to Nomad's camp, each located inside the park...either that, or skip Tarangire and add time to your stay in the Serengeti. I would be very interested to know how much time you are spending in the Serengeti and in which part of the Serengeti. If you are not spending time in the Ndutu region but you are going anytime between late January to early April, then I think you definitely need to add time in this part of the park...it was, by far, the highlight of my safari and I was fortunate enough to spend four nights there at Nomad's Ndutu semi-mobile camp that picks up and moves every two weeks in pursuit of the Migration.

Here are my photos from my safari and the best ones (most of the lion kills, male lion in a tree and even leopard) all come from the Ndutu part of the safari:

www.kodakgallery.com/rocco/main/tanzania
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:28 AM
sandi

Rocco -

You missed an earlier post where it mentioned that Oliver's was closed due to the road being washed out. Plans were underway to move the camp farther inside (more central) in Tarangire.

Quite unfortunate all around with all the wet and changes necessary to accommodate clients during this time. I'm sure the outfitters are scurying (sp) around to get this done. Day-by-day things are changing.

But what will be next week, later in January - who knows.

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Rocco
Hi
I didnt choose Swala or Nomad because I didnt want to "tent it" at Tarangire also Boundary Hill Lodge was almost half the price of the above and a lot cheaper than Treetops
david
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:31 PM

David
I stayed at Boundary Hill Lodge in August 2006
and it is now not "under construction"
I found it to be one of the best places I have visited in Tanzania
and it is close to the park
I will be very surprised if you dont rave about it
also having read a lot of posts on this board and having visited tanzania quite a bit
I did notice that Ranger Safaris are one of the largest operators out of Arusha with over 200 vehicles
but not too many people say nice things about them on this board makes you wonder
Geelong