safari intinerary- any suggestion?

Jan 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

safari intinerary- any suggestion?

This is tentatively our safari itinerary for April 2008. Any input would be great

Day 1 Arumeru River Lodge
Day 2-3 Mbuzi MAwe Tented Lodge
Day 4-5 Private Luxury Camp Naabi Hill #1
Day 6-7 Ndutu Lodge
Day 8-9 Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
Day 10-12 The Palms Zanzibar

We were wonderin if anyone thinks that we should just skip Zanzibar and add another day safari since it is the rainy season. I would also love to hear from people that have stayed at these places and what they think. It is our first trip to Africa and I would love for it to be as great as possible.

Thank you
Lisa
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM
sandi

Presume you'll be flying from Arusha to the Serengeti where your guide will meet you for your safari?

The Palms is lovely and expensive, but you'll be getting low-season prices (still high). If during the Easter period, there is a surcharge, so check.

However, since neither game or weather can be guaranteed, it's a crap shoot.

Since you're traveling in April and getting the CCA low-season rates at Crater Lodge, consider Lake Manyara at the CCA Tree Lodge or Swala Camp or Treetops at Tarangire instead of flying out to Zanzibar.

Jan 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Sandi
Thank you for the Lake Manyara idea. I was just wondering if we should consider staying there.

Lisa
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Who's putting this trip together for you? I'm trying to book Feb. 2008 and most of the operators are giving me a pass because they don't have their prices yet. On the other hand, some of the lodges are already booked for 2008. I've picked some of the same accomadations; Mbuzi Mawe, Ndutu and Arumeru River. I too would love to hear from people that have stayed in these places.
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:50 AM
sandi

If anything is currently booked for 2008, some maybe individuals, otherwise, it's mostly block-bookings that tour operators are holding. Block-bookings can be in place for years in advance of actual occupancy.

Jan 16th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

I'm going through Africa Dream Safaris. Sharon from there has been really great. I've been asking TONS of questions.
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

My travel agent sent us an alternate itinerary. Please let me know which one you think would be best

Day 1 Arumeru River Lodge
Day 2-3 Mbalageti Tented Lodge
Day 4-5 Private Luxury Camp Seronera 10
Day 6-8 Ndutu Lodge
Day 9-10 Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
Day 11 Plantation Lodge
Day 12 Arumeru River Lodge (day room)

Thanks
Lisa
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:04 AM

lisa1061
to drive from Arumeru River Lodge to Mbalegeti tented lodge in one day will take forever
therfore
for the second night try and stay at Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
and then Plantantion Lodge for the last night
all the accomodations are excellent
BUT the standard of the private luxury camp depends on the operator as they can vary considerably

Jan 17th, 2007, 06:15 AM
sandi

It's kind of early to be at Mbalageti in the Western Serengeti; which is better for a stay during June - July. If planning this far ahead for 2008, you should be able to get Mbuzi Mawe instead of being out in the West. In fact, this early, you should be able to get everything on your initial itinerary.

Again, you don't mention, and as asked above, you will be flying from Arusha to the Serengeti where your guide will meet you to commence your safari? Yes?

Jan 17th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Yes, sorry I didn't mention it above, but we are flying from Arusha to Serengeti.

Sandi - should we stick to the first itinerary that had us at Mbuzi Mawe first?

Lisa
Jan 17th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Travel agent checked on Lake Manyara Tree Lodge and they are closed April-May.
I'm excited about the second itinerary, but my husband is still interested in seeing Zanzibar. But isn't Stone Town really dodgy?
Jan 17th, 2007, 07:28 AM
sandi

Mbuzi Mawe a better choice in April than being in the West. Granted Mbalageti is a nicer, more lux camp, but wrong place at that time.

Stone Town gets mixed reviews... some love it, others not much. We thought it was great, but we've visited many such cities around the world... just another small dirty town with winding alleys, easy to get lost, but lots of fun; lots of people, hot and sticky. It's good to have a guide for a half-day tour; they will have a vehicle for the longer distances around ST.

Jan 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Did anyone feel rushed on their safari? Would there be a huge difference betweeen a 10 and 12 day safari?

Lisa